Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've also used these little zip tie cable anchors (which have tape on the bottom, and just put a square of good foam tape on the top, it works great!

71VqGi8KnXL._SX466_.jpg

Amazon.com: 250 Adhesive-Backed Zip Tie Anchors by APTronix. Heavy Duty Professional Grade, UV White Cable Tie Base: 3/4 x 3/4 Inch, Screw Hole Anchor Provides Additional Strength. XGA Anchors (S, White): Home Improvement

And 3M double foam tape like this - Amazon.com: Scotch Indoor Mounting Squares, 1/2-inch x 1/2-inch, White, 96-Squares (111-SML): Home Improvement

Joined 2001
Paid Member
linestage rebuild

Well here it is, finished for now.. Balanced input from my Buffalo DAC, +/-25V rails from a Salas "UltraBiB", way oversized power transformer from an unused amplifier project, Jensen's wired as autoformers for more gain to my F4's.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 1,008
  • gfhfghf.jpg
    gfhfghf.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 976
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My own build has some "character" with the signal iron, but I would say Wayne's circuit is very low distortion as advertised, detailed and accurate. If that's what you're looking for and need the gain, I would say it's worth trying out. My diy audio stuff is in a much less ideal room than it used to be, so I'm unable to really give it an honest assessment. Since I changed the PS in my build (from the one shown in post #612), I'm hearing some "roughness" that I did not notice before. I need to maybe try some series resistance or something to get that sorted out. It may not be playing nice with this shunt regulator.

Thanks Wayne and Jim for the wonderful linestage. Its quite and very detailed preamp with good soundstage. I am using it with a 10k relay attenuator and all I can say that its fantastic. The chassis and all the guts are old and the gainstage replaces a B1 buffer. The only change I made was using 27k for R17 to lower the gain to 2.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 885
Thanks Wayne and Jim for the wonderful linestage. Its quite and very detailed preamp with good soundstage. I am using it with a 10k relay attenuator and all I can say that its fantastic. The chassis and all the guts are old and the gainstage replaces a B1 buffer. The only change I made was using 27k for R17 to lower the gain to 2.

Dine, please share us more information about the relay attenuator.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Enjoying this preamp... I added a bit of length to the wires from the shunt supply to the boards, not a lot, couple of inches per wire. Salas mentions that the local termination capacitor type and the cabling to the load are important for stability in this supply. Listening for a few hours tonight and found myself getting sucked into the music rather than obsessing about the equipment. Always a good sign. Also I think there's some nice benefit to having this big toroid in there now. Bass is solid and effortless with great control. It replaced a 25VA Hammond that had an annoying mechanical buzz audible from any distance, the main reason for wanting to replace it. Thought Wayne's boards might just be a cheap temporary experiment to try for fun. But damn, my ugly little linestage is actually "really" good!