DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You also mention 24db filters probably being the most popular, why is that? I will be replicating a two way speaker designed with originally passive 12db crossovers. I intend to use 12db with the analog crossover. Your remarks makes me wonder if 24db filters could be suitable as well?

Possibly.

24 dB Linkwitz-Riley are very popular for summing flat and minimizing
driver bandwidth issues, but are not optimal for everything. My experience
is that the best procedure is to try lots of variations and see what works
best.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Very nice board Mr Pass! (The pic is just becuase it's an easy crack at being the first one . . . . something I don't get to do much so it's a cheap thrill at the thread's expense)

Thank you ! Everything, the layout, spacing, makes it a snap to do. Thank you!

Attachments

• PASS 6-24 XO.jpg
    PASS 6-24 XO.jpg
    981.6 KB · Views: 905
Many thanks Papa, these boards look like a great project expecialy for those having 2 way speakers... thinking nice potential gift for a good friend of mine with brand new Klipsch 2 ways (and very simplistic Xover as I could see) and already 2 power amps.

However, at the moment in front of the the power amps there is a stereo Alps pot for motorized volume control (so just a passive pre), followed by an Y adaptator to split the signal to both power amps (and in the LS there is the usual passive Xover). That's OK given the source very low output impedance and AOP input buffers in the Class D amps to build a symmetrical signal (this is a low budget HIFI and keeping cost down is defo an issue).

To keep the existing volume control, an idea could be to insert that nice active Xover between the volume pot and the power amps. However, I am somewhat conerned about a 50k volume control... driving a 50k board entry level adjustment pot.

Does anyone know if there any other clever way to insert that board easily in this small HIFI system?

I figured out "worst case" a possibility could be to add a buffer between volume control and this active Xover board, so have a B1 like volume control, but that's adding an additional circuit stage, complexity etc. so I hope there is a clever solution :)

Many thanks to all for this informative thread and very special thanks to Papa for (again) a great gift for the community: argh, you are likely to get me triggered (again) for another great project I "didn't need", LOL!

What a great hobby :)

Enjoy music and DIY very much

Claude

to Robin De Wolf #168

Hello Robin,

I want to use this beautiful 6-24XO for my 2-way speakers too.

My aim is to divide the frequency spectrum at 2500 Hz.
I show my values for the resistors and capacitors in the photo below.

I don't know your speakers. But many 2-way speakers are designed to
crossover anywhere between 1500 Hz and 3000 Hz (especially smaller bookshelf
speakers). The crossover frequency deopnds on the loudspeakerchassis used in your speaker.
Good high/mid dome tweeters can go low as circa 1500 Hz without any nasty
distorting sounds.

I assume that your mid/woofer in your speakers has a diameter of around 130 - 170mm (the cone without the basket).
So i would test to crossover at 2000 - 2500 Hz. Easily adjustable with this

fantastic 6-24 Xo from Nelson Pass. Also the different sound pressure levels can be easily adjusted with the pots at the input.
Don't be afraid! Try! The human ear is avery good 'test-instrument'. :note::hphones:

Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-05 PASS XO CALC_2500Hz.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-09-05 PASS XO CALC_2500Hz.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 735
to Robin De Wolf #168

Hello Robin;

and I think you know, that your existing passive crossover in your 2-way - speaker has to be disconnected from the loudspeakerchassis. You drive each loudspeakerchassis with one channel of a power amp after the active crossover. So, for two -way - stereo speakers you need 4 poweramp channels. Two stereo poweramps.

Greets
Dirk

Hello Robin,

I want to use this beautiful 6-24XO for my 2-way speakers too.

My aim is to divide the frequency spectrum at 2500 Hz.
I show my values for the resistors and capacitors in the photo below.

I don't know your speakers. But many 2-way speakers are designed to
crossover anywhere between 1500 Hz and 3000 Hz (especially smaller bookshelf
speakers). The crossover frequency deopnds on the loudspeakerchassis used in your speaker.
Good high/mid dome tweeters can go low as circa 1500 Hz without any nasty
distorting sounds.
I assume that your mid/woofer in your speakers has a diameter of around 130 - 170mm (the cone without the basket).
So i would test to crossover at 2000 - 2500 Hz. Easily adjustable with this

fantastic 6-24 Xo from Nelson Pass. Also the different sound pressure levels can be easily adjusted with the pots at the input.
Don't be afraid! Try! The human ear is avery good 'test-instrument'. :note::hphones:

Greets
Dirk

Hi Dirk, thanks for the info. I will want to try it first on my 2 way bookshelves (8 inch driver + tweeter). This morning I was putting together the bom, and still figuring what value of C and C/2 to select. In your picture it looks like you applied C times 2 instead of divided by 2?

I will be using the ACA for tweeters and F6 for midrange woofer ;) I guess I need to get rid of the ACA thump first, afraid that it will destroy my tweeter..?

Last edited:
Received my board today ! :D

Question : There seem to be a little contradiction between the schematic and the silkscreen on the pcb. The input cap on the schematic is a .1uf but is a 10uf on the board and on the bom??

Second question, what value should we use for the additional filtering caps on the pcb. Those that are on each side of the filtering sections.

Merci !

Hubert

Was this clarified? 10uF with the 1Meg resistor gives you 0.016Hz while 0.1uF (100nF) gives you 1.6Hz as your low 3dB point.

Socketing Frequency C's and Order Jumpers

I have been thinking it would make sense to have these items socketed as I suspect that these crossovers will have a life with several different applications over the years. I'd like to hear suggestions from those with more experince than I have.

Earlier this year I used the following items:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/273/4119-0-15-15-47-27-04-0-1350788.pdf

which worked, but the pins are thin relative to the PCB hole, and they were not easy to solder in squarely. Could someone with access to the Gerbers on this PCB let me know the diameter of the sandard small holes on these? If I can find a part with a snugger fit, it would be good.

Thanks, Skip

Reactions: 1 user