What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, you're benefiting from having pretty decent onboard reg and decent isolation between channels

now, just imagine having slightly better reg ( difference being in 4 CCS-es) - but one reg per channel - and more potent buffer

that's why Boyz found IP being crazy good headphone amp....... while fact is that I even didn't think of that

well, I'm rarely using headphones, that could be reason for not thinking of

Joined 2019
Paid Member
you wanna another cheap trick?

stack Edcor 600:15K (in same way as used in M2) after Iron Pre, and there is cheapest possible gain on market

almost enough for intended 60Vpp

Ok ZM, I've got a pair of chassis mount 600:15K's arriving in a couple days. Thinking I'll try them after the AVC, perhaps putting them on switch. Attached is the M2 implementation. I believe the low-pass (10K>640pf) addresses some HF behavior intrinsic to the Edcor, so I should keep it. And I believe the 10uf cap is serving the M2 OS, and I can toss it.

That sound right to you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 4.32.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 4.32.43 PM.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 219
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
RC - really depends of load afterwards, so you can freely try without

if you have zingywiggly showing device ( scope) you can play with little squares (having as shunt/load resistor same value as intended power amp Rin)

for a good measure , you can toss 100K as shunt on output and forgetabouta all zingywiggly headache

ps. be prepared for at least cultural shock, if not ruining of all HiEnd myths and fairy tales ..... what can illogically/uncommonly used 8$ piece do for your sound

:rofl:

(blame Pa)

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
same 3 xformers mentioned as central Note in any of my recent autoformer gain amps

anyway, to spare wakootalian of difficulties, here it is:

XFORMER
Edcor PC600:600 or
Jensen JT-123-FLPCH or
Cinemag CMOQ-4LPC or
Cinemag CMOQ-4HPC

you're good for 6db or 12db that way, by your choice

exactly as shown in Iron Pre schematics

do not forget to zero R103 (in B1 schm you posted two posts above)

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Once again I listened to ZM, and once again it has paid off. I picked up a pair of 600:15K edcors to put after the AVC in my Iron Pre. Works like a charm, and sounds fantastic!! Still need to permanently mount, but so far so good. The cherry on top is that I put them on a switch, so passive/no gain is down, and big iron gain (Edcor) is up.

I’m pretty sure I’ll never need another preamp. Thanks again ZM!!

Attachments

• 0DD03642-4ABF-4541-8100-1DB796AEC274.jpeg
    0DD03642-4ABF-4541-8100-1DB796AEC274.jpeg
    679.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 3840FA53-ED61-44EA-ACE9-E7189B7DAC0E.jpeg
    3840FA53-ED61-44EA-ACE9-E7189B7DAC0E.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 246
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no, you can't flip phase anywhere iin Iron Pre, everything is direct coupled and xformers are all auto

sole place where you can flip phase is speaker terminals

btw. I believe, in fact - I'm sure - you have neg phase 2nd at SB output

phase of signal is flipped, but residual is neg. phase

lazy to check in Papa's Lecture from BAF, but as he likes gigglywiggly so much, there must be some graph there