What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Hi All,

I am more or less coming to the point of firing up this build. Just waiting on some trim pot to replace the ones I ordered with the incorrect adjuster placement.

But with this one I am a bit more concerned about blowing it up as I have with a few of the projects on the first go. As parts are getting harder and harder to get mistakes take a lot of time to recover from.

The question here is about the wiring of the transformer to the board. The transformer is a Toroidy 230v/30va/2x18v and I am a bit confused about the correct wiring here. Should it go as such -> BLK-AC1 / BLK-CT / RED-CT /RED-AC2?

Also If anyone sees anything stupid I may have done please do not hesitate to criticize.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 219
The question here is about the wiring of the transformer to the board. The transformer is a Toroidy 230v/30va/2x18v and I am a bit confused about the correct wiring here. Should it go as such -> BLK-AC1 / BLK-CT / RED-CT /RED-AC2?

Note that the order of the secondary wires is important. I think it goes like this - looking at the tranformer from the sticker side:
BLK - start of the winding
BLK - end of the winding
RED - start of the winding
RED - end of the winding

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in any case, you need to connect it to have center tapped 36V winding, written often as 36Vct

so, it'll be:

BLK - goes to AC1

BLK+RED - goes to CT

RED - hoes to AC2

now, phasing (befor connecting to pcb) is easypeasy - this will help (left side of sketch is applicable for your needs):

Attachments

• xformer phasing.JPG
    xformer phasing.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 200
As usual things did not go without issue. I finally got all the parts in but must have made some mistake somewhere on the V- side of the regulator. C4 was not happy and let out some smoke and M2 got very hot very quickly...that said I did have the DMM on during startup and there was about -11.38v during this event. Can anyone point in a direction to start trouble shooting this?