What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Finished up my stock Iron Pre this afternoon. Sounds really nice so far! Was a breeze to build and setup. I only ever use a single source at a time, and bypassed the relay's and twister for now. As stated in a previous post, I'm using a regular old pot for attenuation to start with, and then hope to swap in the Slegle $200 autoformer pair for attenuation soon. Shooting for an Iron Pumpkin Lite, if you will :)

Thanks to ItsAllInMyHead for the free prototype board! I used his BOM for anything I didn't have, and it worked perfectly. I say these are definitely ready for the store.

Last but not least, thanks to ZM for the superb design, layout, and constant help. You're the best!! :worship:

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 329
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I may need to double-check resistor values? I kinda feel like it may be an output impedance issue. I was also looking back to see if the Jensen required any clipping, bridging, etc

*Edit* Since I recovered these Jensen's from my F6 boards, also considering the fact that perhaps I boogered up a winding..

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hey Jim!

Nothing is hooked up to CT thru holes. The transformer has two 18V secondaries, wired in series to get my 36V. Voltages in the reg are rock solid at +/- 15V. 1263 is the final wiring. Also included a better board shot here. Signal ground is coming from RCA in (confirmed isolated from chassis) to the input. PCB is grounded at a single star point in chassis (via onboard NTC). I confirmed continuity to chassis.

Confirmed correct resistor values in the buffer section.

Out of curiosity, I hooked a powered sub I have. Take a parallel set of RCAs from the pre out to the sub. Normally there’s no detectable change in sound, but this time I noticed what sounded like even more roll-off. The sub had a pretty high input impedance, so not sure how/why it had that impact, but perhaps greater minds will prevail.

Attachments

• B5B6E485-AB73-4175-A7E2-506897A3112F.jpeg
    B5B6E485-AB73-4175-A7E2-506897A3112F.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I do plan on measuring the output tomorrow to confirm the roll-off. It’s a very real possibility that’s it’s not actually an issue, and I’m just being overly sensitive to a gear change. In other words, may not be worth digging too far into troubleshooting yet. :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey, problem solved! 6L6 noticed that I'd tied my two secondaries in series at the transformer, as opposed to running those legs to the CT spot for the series connection. I just made the switch and I've now got full range and full power. Thanks Jim!

you're lucky that we have Hawk Eye Jim around ( thing of Trade, I believe)

I can bet that guiding wannabee Pilots is easier than coping with regular Greedy Boyz

:rofl: