What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
You guys are always kind to teach me... So, here goes nothing. Per schematic attached, the relays are in the open position for a normally open relay, correct? So, wouldn't all the input GNDs be shorted together when powered off per the schematic? Do I have it backwards or just plain wrong? It looks like the positive input leg connects when the relay closes for a normally open relay.

Under power, if they were all normally closed, wouldn't all the relays, except the input selected, be closed when in normal use? If the input selected switched from closed to open, it would not send a signal through the pre-amp when powered on, right?

I looked at the schematic and my brain melted (again). :)

View attachment Iron Pre SE Twister input select sch (1).pdf

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
here it is - 5 cuts, yellow lines

Attachments

• Iron-Pre-SE-brd-no-muting.jpg
    Iron-Pre-SE-brd-no-muting.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 432
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, what's few volts between friends ? :rofl:

both will work, if you set reg to +/-12Vdc, though 18Vac secondaries will give greater margin for mains fluctuations

due to logically poor regulation factor of small Donuts ( difference of unloaded vs. loaded Vac) most of them are having higher Vac than declared ( usually declared/constructed for full load), so more often than not we can practically use smaller voltage than Funny Constructor said in first place

Good Gemini reg is good in one thing (besides some other ones) - not excessive load - each rail is drawing "just" 90mA .......... set by Vbe/(15R // 15R) - in input CCS of reg

ref. to first pic in post #1149 - What's wrong with the kiss,boy ?

Thanks to the generosity of Jim, I have received one of the Iron Pre boards (2020 version). I also got meldano's Muses Volume Kit, which conveniently needs a +/-15V power supply. Should be a good project!

The case, transformers and Jfets already arrived, so now I just need to collect all the remaining parts.

Attachments

• Layout1 2 kl.jpg
    Layout1 2 kl.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 295
Made some progress this week. PSU diodes and resistors are populated...

The Muses volume control is finished (the encoder will be wired to the front panel). My first time soldering SMD, which was actually a lot more fun than I expected!

Time for a break :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG-8054.jpg
    IMG-8054.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 312
You mean like this? (Attached picture)

Assuming I leave JPGND open, I don't need to do the first cut, correct?

Also, what's bad about the inputs being muted by way of grounding? Just for my learning. Apologies if I missed that...

Attachments

• Iron-Pre-SE-brd-no-muting.jpg
    Iron-Pre-SE-brd-no-muting.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 243
I did the "surgery" and the boards are stuffed sans iron. Then, a leg of one of the Edcor transformers snapped off as soon as I touched it...:zombie: I tried to solder in a new leg, which was unsuccessful to say the least. So, this won't be finished this side of the holidays unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG-8059.jpg
    IMG-8059.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG-8060.jpg
    IMG-8060.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 253