What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Finishing boards for planned fire up, and I guess I forgot the 4 rectifier diodes, 1N4004 I believe. Looking around, all I can find at home are 1N4148 and they are awful tiny looking. No way these are big enough?

Looks like the next Mouser order may be sooner than later. Nuts.

Russellc

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Well, shoot! I was just going to ping you to see how things were coming along.

I don't think 1N4148s are suitable for this application, based upon my limited knowledge. As with many, many cases - I could be wrong. Do you have any 4003s, 4002s, or maybe even 4001s around? Those may be potentially more viable alternatives in order of possible acceptability.

ZM or someone more skilled should provide the final answer, but I hope you've got something around that could work. I know the feeling of missing THAT ONE PART! :redhot: I missed a Zener.

If all else fails, one more option if you don't have other things you need from Mouser and/or want them sooner and potentially with lower shipping. 1N4004 are readily available through Amazon (maybe even same day). Their deliveries for Prime have been sporadic lately, but it's an option. I (cough) have been known to get some resistors or other forgotten parts...

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Edited to add - Out of curiosity... I looked at Amazon. In my area most all electronics are now pushed until MAY for deliveries. Yikes. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It took me long enough but I finally got mine working. This was bult
using the '2018' pcb. The transformers are the low nickel Cinemags.
Currently it is configured for 12dB gain, running into a DIY F4.

A big thanks to the Mighty Zen Mod and 6L6, who made this possible.

Cheers,
Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_0334_small.jpg
    IMG_0334_small.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 243
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jim,

At 12dB gain I can get pretty loud volume with my sources. With the DAC's
max 2V RMS output I can get a max of about 8W into 8 ohms. I have been
listening the volume most of the way up but not wide open, so while I
cannot get full output from the F4, it seems to be loud enough for me. :)

As for the sound, it's still early days, but so far I am very happy with it.

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Congrats, Dennis!

I really wish I had gotten my case order in earlier. I think I should just order an assortment of sizes for projects. My Iron Pre is still naked and afraid. Also, rumor has it that somebody's got a kick butt layout I can (ahem) borrow. :D :joker: I despise case work, but I am getting better at it. Soon, I may come to enjoy it. Stepped drill bits and the spiral taps were exceptional recommendations.

I had built DCB1 pcb left over, so with kind help from Zen Mod and Chromenuts I'll try to build something with gain out of it. ZM recommended Edcor XSM600/10K to reach 14db of gain. Just placed order from toroidy.pl, 2x15v 50va trafo. Takes atleasti couple of weeks to arrive.. Will post pics and impressions later if I get it to work! Though there's nothing special to see there.

Oh, and congrats with workin Iron Pre's :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
@ItsAllInMyHead: Thank you. I look forward to the availability of the IronPre boards (both SE and balanced) at the store. I think builders will be very happy with them. For my build I recycled a chassis I bought about 15 years ago, patched up some holes and drilled a couple more for the 5th set of RCA inputs. Good thing the drilling was minimal since the back plate is stamped steel, which I find difficult to work with.

@pfarrell: I had been using Wayne's BAF2018 line stage but that is now awaiting rework to add more inputs and change out a buzzing transformer. So I've back to using an XP20. BTW, your SP10 looks amazing! I notice also you have a Denafrips Ares 2. How do you like it?

I love Wayne's Pre—goal being to have 2 complete systems so I can do my version of tuning/matching preamps to amps and generally just trying different combos to hear what I hear. Would love to own an official Pass preamp at some point too....Iron is just killer though. Something about it...? Lovely.

The SP-10 is also just nuts—I have to send 6L6 a bill for putting the final nail in the coffin of procuring one LOL.... Still learning what it has to offer—whole new world here with all the records I thought I knew. It think it's a whole mess of small factors leading up to brilliance.

Yes, the Denafrips has only been in play for a week or so actually—they have at least an 8 week lead time or more at the moment—great communication with the owner about it all. I LOVE it—worth the wait. To me it's incredibly natural, has a bigness without seeming to "impart" anything to the music? Dunno—dangerous territory here, Haha, labeling things—I'd call it the most "analogue" in comparison to my other DACs—which I wouldn't give up either—Schitt Bifrost and Modi MB. I'm a fan of Schitt and they have quite a bit of cred in the DAC world—I have 2 Whammy's with different Opamps connected to the Bifrost and it's sensational—you can hear the clocks resetting with each source change off an iPhone: Tidal, Netflix, whatever as they offer up lesser or better bits—I found a lighting to USB cable for as direct a connection as possible. So, Ares II HIGHLY recommended. Price is very good for what it is as well IMO. Source files are all Hi-res Tidal for my evaluations.

Okay—back to Iron! Fantastic build—DO IT—ALL of the above are better because of it. ZM has done us all a great service in getting our audible arm hairs to raise! Definitely building a BAL version at some point—probably when Cinemag is back online!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This played the sweet sweet sounds of Iron Pre tonight in test mode! No real dramas.

Took a minute to figure out perma-switching to input 1. Didn't have to touch the DC offset—born at zero! Also born at around 15.5VDC+/-....twiddled those to spec.

Could you describe what you mean by "perma switching to input one" as I am finding that a little confusing!

Russellc

Hey Russellc—During testing, and understanding what ZM explained about the switcher layout—I tied pin 4 (input 1) and the common pin 1 together with some leads to make sure the input was active while I tested the circuit. See post #662. This was only before doing all the work to wire up the input switcher and LEDs, which I did later... If you have already done that... sweet! ignore what I said in the quoted text...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, shoot! I was just going to ping you to see how things were coming along.

I don't think 1N4148s are suitable for this application, based upon my limited knowledge. As with many, many cases - I could be wrong. Do you have any 4003s, 4002s, or maybe even 4001s around? Those may be potentially more viable alternatives in order of possible acceptability.

ZM or someone more skilled should provide the final answer, but I hope you've got something around that could work. I know the feeling of missing THAT ONE PART! :redhot: I missed a Zener.

If all else fails, one more option if you don't have other things you need from Mouser and/or want them sooner and potentially with lower shipping. 1N4004 are readily available through Amazon (maybe even same day). Their deliveries for Prime have been sporadic lately, but it's an option. I (cough) have been known to get some resistors or other forgotten parts...

Good luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Edited to add - Out of curiosity... I looked at Amazon. In my area most all electronics are now pushed until MAY for deliveries. Yikes. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

My Mouser box came and diodes are installed, just waiting for transformer from Antek which is in transit...no tracking number but it shipped out quick a few days ago. I decided not to cannibalize my "Wayne's 2018 line stage."

That being the case, I ordered another chassis for this preamp. There is a delay on shipment so I will build it "charcuterie board style" to get a quick listen.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russellc—Do you Quasimodo? Cannibalize Waynes???!!!! NOOOOOOOo! Haha. Good thinking to not touch it.

I haven't made a Quasimodo yet, but this is a good time, I notice my board has a place for it. Well, a place for the cap and resistor it would indicate.

I used an Antek 18/18 @ 50VA transformer which is pretty common use item for my preamp builds here. If anyone has done this with this transformer, what did you use?

I might later remove Wayne's 2018 boards to install the latest version which arrived a day or so ago. I hate messing with something that works well.

Russellc

Last edited:
You have the 2018 board like the one I built (ZM current production board has the normal 3 spots for snubbing with Quasi.). I had some help from Mark and Jim about how to determine the values for the 2018 board—and the power is a center-tap configuration which was a brand new hookup experience on the scope for me—so, I learned a ton and was high for days after all the fun! We can get you a value for that transformer—I have one here—and I'm pretty sure 6L6 did his own test under 2018 board conditions with that transfo (68R if I recall?—but the cap for C2 is a different—low value). Basically the deal is detailed on the bottom of page 12 in the Quasimodo guide. The RC "two element" snubber. See PDF.

Attachments

• Quasimodo_jig_revA.pdf
    817.4 KB · Views: 61