Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

Quick question on how to easily alter the gain. I built a friend one of these who also uses an Ellekit TU-8850Vk on Klipsch Chorus II. His cartridge is an Audio Technica Moving Magnet. So, a ton of gain and he barely turns the volume up on his Elekit before it gets loud.

He said sometimes when he lifts the tonearm it results in a loud thump that overloads the input of the Elekit and it indicates that with red ring around the volume pot and it distorts a bit until it turns back to green.

I told him each time he changes the record he needs turn the volume down on the Elekit first, but his Elekit isn’t near the turntable.

A couple options I thought of:
  • lower it by adding a volume pot between the P3 and Elekit
  • add a muting switch to the P3 but that could result in a thump too when switched
  • or change a couple resistors on the P3 boards

Thanks! I’m open to any other ideas.

If someone would like lower gain the feedback resistor R22 could be lowered to 100 Ohms for about 6dB less gain.
This of course changes the feedback and maybe the sound but it will be stable. .... snip ....

Hello All,

For grins and giggles I am going to do as @wayne suggests and reduce R22 to about 110R (place a second 220R resistor in parallel) to see what happens to the gain.

Thanks DT

Added note:

I am downloading Audacity to record some real tracks and visualize pops, clicks and such.

Thanks DT

Added note:

I am downloading Audacity to record some real tracks and visualize pops, clicks and such.
Don't you have an analog oscilloscope? I don't understand that.
:rolleyes:

By the way:
Wayne deliberately chose the open loop amplification of the first stage, and and and ... I think we should finally put an end to this egg dance.

If you would like a total of 36dB gain for your MM, then you have all the freedom you need to add the two stages -> but then the result is no longer a PEARL 3, but an offshoot or something completely unique.

I am looking forward to your results and thoughts, but at the same time I am also (somtimes) disconcerted.

Best wishes,
HBt.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. received today my Pearl 3 PCB and the UDP3. Time to start so assembly.
I think all my extra PCB sets are already sold to friends...
SB

Shout out to SB.

I sent a PM to SB, paid the money with PayPal and received some very nice looking professional quality P3 PCB's. Good timing I guess.
The idea is to experiment with different part values.

Thanks to SB
DT

Reactions: 1 users
Don't you have an analog oscilloscope? I don't understand that.
:rolleyes:

By the way:
Wayne deliberately chose the open loop amplification of the first stage, and and and ... I think we should finally put an end to this egg dance.

If you would like a total of 36dB gain for your MM, then you have all the freedom you need to add the two stages -> but then the result is no longer a PEARL 3, but an offshoot or something completely unique.

I am looking forward to your results and thoughts, but at the same time I am also (somtimes) disconcerted.

Best wishes,
HBt.

Hello HBt and All,

Yes there is an oscilloscope on the bench. Keysight MSOX3052A

My thoughts are still circling like dots in the Windows loading cursor.

I want to end up with some audio files to share on the big screen in the front of the classroom. I am always thinking lesson plans and visuals. I was a teacher too long.

Today I was poking around in the APx500 software. In addition to the ability to quantify there is also a recorder function that will record the analyzer input in a (.WAV) audio file.

I do have an interest in quantifying, seeing, and hearing all the vinyl noises including clipping. Then formulate an opinion about how much of the finite vinyl / cartridge dynamic range could or should be reserved for overhead margin.

Thanks DT

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Can someone direct me as to where can I find the OPA adapters? I expected them to have pluggable legs that would plug into the sockets I have. I was surprised to receive legless OPA1656s!

View attachment 1252511 View attachment 1252512
Another option is BrownDog adapters..https://www.cimarrontechnology.com/product/browndog-970601-so8-to-dip8-adapter

Cheers

Joined 2011
Paid Member
From post #1765

one1-jpg.1259245

I do have an interest in quantifying, seeing, and hearing all the vinyl noises including clipping. Then formulate an opinion about how much of the finite vinyl / cartridge dynamic range could or should be reserved for overhead margin.
I recently measured the output of my pre-amp. A 45RPM 12in single reached 2.4V peak. A normal LP reached 1.2V peak. My pre-amp has a completely nominal gain of 40dB at 1KHz, and my MM cartridge has a completely nominal output of 5mV RMS at 5cm/s and 1KHz.

Rumble was visible but low in amplitude. I design for >20dB headroom, but the practicality is that any LP that could approach clipping would have a big enough scratch or boulder in the grooves to cause me to discard the LP.
Ed

Reactions: 2 users
Here is my completed build of the Pearl 3. I had to change the 220R resistor to 820R to get the current flow via R27 to 3.6mA left and 3.7mA right channel. Need to hear them now with my AT-VM95ML cartridge installed on my DIY TT, presently using a Schiit phonostage. Made a umbilical cord using 20awg cable wires, seems to be good inside the braided sleeve.

1711340281310.jpeg

1711340291828.jpeg

1711340360628.jpeg

1711340542168.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Great build and thanks for the pics. Can you share a link to that push button switch you have there? I haven't started my build yet, but it's not far off. That switch looks lovely. The Pearl is not for me, it's for me Ma, and she's terribly partial for the periwinkle blue.
Thanks @birdbox and best of luck for your build.
Here you go - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...A1OwqIZH&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

You get multiple options like latching, voltage, LED ring with/without the power icon symbol etc., I like the Lanboo branded ones been using them in all my builds since long never failed so far.

• Thank You