Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

...45 years ago ... my Leach preamp...
LOL I also have have one of those, also built 45 years ago. I was having a good day until you reminded me of the chronology.
As a matter of fact I had recently considered evicting the Leach boards and using the chassis for the Pearl3.
No, I think I'll get some new ones from Gianluca and keep the Leach for posterity, or for my executor to dispose of. ;)

Hello DT!

Just under 10Vrms means 28Vpp at f=1kHz, of course you are already slapping the rails.

Let's calculate back 14Vp/16 = 875mVp, 875mVp/23 = 38mVp. Well, the cascaded input stage should be able to supply and process 1.75Vpp without complaint. 3.8mAp should also be no problem for the 1st op-amp at Rload=230Ohm.

Should! First of all, the question of the highest possible input level must be clarified. What does the Ortofon 2M blue spit out? The data sheet says 5.5mVrms ... etc.pp. Sampling capability 80µm -> +/-40µm !?

Perhaps measure again directly at the exit of the first stage or at the entrance of the 2nd stage.

greetings,
HBt.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, of course you can use through-hole parts.
There are holes for both SMD and through-hole except in the balanced line driver position (which is optional to stuff anyway.) If you have suitable K170 or K370, use them. The SMD bypass capacitors on the opamp are optional, and if you like you could attach small film bypass capacitor to the legs of the electrolytic caps on the bottom of the board.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, of course you can use through-hole parts.
There are holes for both SMD and through-hole except in the balanced line driver position (which is optional to stuff anyway.) If you have suitable K170 or K370, use them. The SMD bypass capacitors on the opamp are optional, and if you like you could attach small film bypass capacitor to the legs of the electrolytic caps on the bottom of the board.
Sorry one last dumb question. Should the optional line drivers be populated even if they are not going to be used in the near future?

I used this wire as well; bought from Audiophonics. They look so similar, probably the same stuff. 0.5 square mm per wire also feels a bit "better" for this purpose than some cables made for small signal transfer (0.14 or 0.22 sq mm).
Actually...... If you scroll down to the spec´s, you´ll see, that the cable I bought, is actually 3 x 1,5 square mm.
The reason I called it "Overkill". Looked and searched long time for 3 x 0,5, but didn´t find anything suitable.