Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

But you shouldn't expect a THD of better than 0.03% for the highest tones either.
In addition to our luck, the 75µsec time constant causes a natural band limitation
Not sure what you mean by "natural band limitation",
However, as far as the 75us constant goes I recon it ensures that for all harmonics 2122Hz and above the THD will be reduced due to the passive LP filter R13/C3.
Thus all harmonics above this frequency caused by the first amplifier stage will be reduced by 6dB octave thereby reducing THD and at the same time shaping harmonics into a nice decaying spectrum for all these harmonics.

Actually difficult to see. Maybe it´s just done with red/white/screen-cable, with red as hot and white/screen together?...... Probably.
If so, just disregard my post :giggle:
I appreciate the suggestion. That’s right - two conductor shielded - red hot, white ground, shield is actually floating. Maybe I should ground the shield. More to play with when I get time.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the suggestion. That’s right - two conductor shielded - red hot, white ground, shield is actually floating. Maybe I should ground the shield. More to play with when I get time.
Yes....... You should definitely connect screen to at least the RCA connector. Then try both floating or connected on the PCB side,
and chose for yourself, which one is the most silent ;)

Completed!

20240314_095536.jpg

20240309_213104.jpg

20240309_212255.jpg

20240309_211520.jpg

20240314_134731.jpg

20240314_134605.jpg

20240314_140157.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
A quick question regarding the essentials kit that we got from the store. Does the kit contain the ZTX and TTA transistors? I was not sure looking at the long thread if they are included as I see that in my kit they are missing and I do have some spare TTA/C transistors but missing the out of stock ZTX ones.

Thanks

Glad you figured it out. You should celebrate by getting a MC cartridge for use with the Pearl3…you will not regret it.

Hello,

From the posts in this thread it looks like a MC is a minimum requirement. With R22 selected the gain is right at 50dB and with R9 selected the gain is at 70dB.

@DualTriode
I am pleased that everything is now working as you wanted it to.

Everything is working as expected using the Pioneer Kit part values.

What I would want is 36dB gain to use with a 5mV output MM ortofon Blue M2 cartridge.

Thanks DT

My guess is that most diyAUDIO builders are using MC cartridges.

My ortofon Blue M2 MM cartridge is a nostalgic holdover from the day when I had less money to spend.

Come to think of it, vinyl all of it is a nostalgic holdover for me.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is that most diyAUDIO builders are using MC cartridges.

My ortofon Blue M2 MM cartridge is a nostalgic holdover from the day when I had less money to spend
I have an Ortofon Blue, and with the jumper, it seemed a little hot, but that was before I recognized and fixed my cascode problem with the 2SK170s I had . The AT33PTG/2 sounds amazing with the Pearl3 and it was between that or one of the Denon MC for me

Do you think the Blue is clipping on loud passages? I’ll have to put mine back on and test it, but my results might not be representative without the 2SK209s.

Reactions: 1 users
Goldring 1042 here, since ages, several stylii of course over the, err, decades.

No Pearl 3 but DIYA everytime and a and DIY pre-preamp (still getting tweaked!).

Love the sound of that cartridge in my system: it matches my Rega arm so well. And MMs mean, apart from some exotica, simple and non expensive stylus replacment and not the entire (MC or MI) unit to throw away each time. Plus the majority of MMs, but that isn't an absolute rule of course (neither for MMs or MCs - think 2M Black) are rather full bodied and forgiving which matches perhaps better 70s and 80s records (my own collection), so...
If listening only to classic and not the romantic operas (Verdi & Co), of course a "usual' MC can then shine - I have been there in the past.

All this to say I would be very surprised if there would be only the 2 of us using affordable MMs, despite having quite "elaborated" HiFi system(s) in the house... especialy if records are played often!

I see on the paper no reason Pearl 3 wouldn't sing with MM systems as it does with MCs (provided the equivalent part quality), IMHO it is just that P3 provides technical provisions to sound nice with far more demanding MCs (gain, etc.), which in fact doesn't compromise but complements the ability to cope with MMs thanks to a mature design...

Further, I am quite confident the sound balance can be tweak to match your taste or stylus by swapping OPAs... worst case perhaps by altering slightly the filter (although that can be tricky as not passive but rather hybrid stage in the P3.

I am sure the P3 will start as it ancestors a new trend and many knowledgeable people will step in to tweak what looks already like a very promising set up from scratch - should it be needed (?)

Enjoy LPs

Claude
EDIT : no pound intented to the numerous 2M users of course, just sharing my own tastes and inclinations towards an old faithfull Goldring friend!

Reactions: 1 users