PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG

Sharing another completed project using Mark's soft start board. It is doing it's job in my recently completed Tubelab SSE. Makes life easier on the tubes set for a 2 sec delay along with the piece of mind that only 5V is running to the push button switch on the front. I think the blue led power on "accent lighting" it provides is perfect using the spec'd resistor. Of course now I need to do something about those retina abusive white leds on the components to the left.

I am sure I have been one of the needier builders so a big public thank you to Mark for his generosity in helping me out!

Attachments

• SSE_int_sm.jpg
    SSE_int_sm.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 472
  • SSE_amp_sm.jpg
    SSE_amp_sm.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 489
  • SSE_amp_glow_sm.jpg
    SSE_amp_glow_sm.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 479
Hi all,

Got the PCBs today and assembled one board, tested and fully working! Thanks Mark for this super nice project!!

I have a question for you or anyone that could answer it... I plan on installing a Bulgin momentary switch with dual colour LED. Unfortunately, this requires reverse polarity for the second colour to light up. Anything possible with the current design to make this work without having to install relays or other ICs to do this properly?

Thanks
Do

Joined 2011
Paid Member
@pinnocchio --- if you are an extremely brave DIYer with excellent fabrication skills, you could consider soldering a couple of "bodge" wires to the upper (loopy) leads of resistors R3 and R4; and then connect those wires to a two-pin, bidirectional, bicolor LED. You'd need to devise a way to mechanically support those wires, because solder joints are notoriously fragile. This is certainly not a supported option, and I don't recommend it, and if you decide to do it anyway: you are completely on your own. So don't try it unless you are extremely brave.

_

Attachments

• onoff.png
    onoff.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 366

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Might be better to mark-up a schematic instead of a detailed text question. It has taken me 20 minutes to find the schematic, find the many SMALL parts listed, and mark them out. What is this, $5 of parts?

Attachments

• pinnocchio-mark-42.gif
    pinnocchio-mark-42.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 408
Dear Mark,
I’ve a question for you :)
My board is connected to mains throught IEC inlet with double pole switch and I have a 400VA 18+18v transformer with DIYAudio Power supply v3 connected to it
When I turn it on with the mains inlet switch some current flows to the transformer and there are about 10v DC at the power supply output. This will slowly goes to zero while the capacitors discharge.

Besides this the board work fine.
I thought that this was due to the Triac snubber leakage, but I remove the snubber and it still the same
I’ve also tried with a snubberless triac (BTA16-600SWRG) but nothing changed

It seems that there is a transient probably due to optocoupler triggering the triac gate at power on
Is this a normal behavior?

Might be better to mark-up a schematic instead of a detailed text question. It has taken me 20 minutes to find the schematic, find the many SMALL parts listed, and mark them out. What is this, $5 of parts?

Hi PRR,

It’s not a question of cost, I don’t really care about the cost. It’s just of optimizing for the need. I’ve got some PCBs assembled for amplifiers and some for preamps. No need for inrush in the later case.

Do

Joined 2019
Paid Member
electronic blasphemy/heresy

Let's pretend that post #254 began with the words "Dear membership of diyAudio" , namely, it was addressed to the entire community of Forum readers.

Would anyone like to reply to this inquiry?

Since I am not qualified to completely understand what the effect of leaving the parts out, I ask the question a different way.

What is the affect of putting the board in as designed. And that is what I care about because I have a DCG3 pre and that is what I did. It seems to work great.

If there is a downside, that is what I would like to know about.

Not trying to dodge the original question. Different strokes for different folks.

I hope my approach doesn't make me a jerk to the electronic gurus.:eek:

I put the board in every DIY box I turn on.

Don

If I want to use this circuit for powering a small current device like a preamplifier, I don't really need the TRIAC and Inrush, just the bypass relay.

It doesn’t matter how small or big is the power supply, it will always have some inrush current to handle.
so, to answer to your question, taking out these components will let the board work as a delayed switch

but in this case you have to consider that inrush current, however small, will be handled only by the tiny relay contact

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mark:

I'm in the midst of building my first H9KPXG board and have just discovered that the 100R 3W resistor in my inventory that I was going to use at R5 is a Vishay RS series wirewound. Your BOM warns against using wirewounds in that position. Can you explain why?

Regards,
Scott