New 3-way, 18 inch bass, Beyma TPL150 AMT Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mid bass terminals being shaped/fitted.

Attachments

• mid bass terminals 1.png
    mid bass terminals 1.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 734
  • mid bass terminals cut.png
    mid bass terminals cut.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 711
Joined 2005
Paid Member
You picked some nice drivers, went through the trouble of making some nice looking cabinets only to combine it with a MiniDSP solution for filtering and amplification? I'm sorry, that doesn't add up, would you care to explain, as MiniDSP is fine for car audio, or your typical boombox, but far from suitable for HiFi.

Atisley,
You will get a cracking system.

My main system in the "playroom" uses:
- P.Audio BM18LF (or other various pro audio 18 inch drivers as they seem to roll through my life)
- JBL 2123J 10 inch bassmid, a cracking driver from, in this case 220Hz upwards. No doubt an oldie, but in terms of performance, distortion and efficiency this is the best bassmid I have used.
- TPL150H from about 1700Hz upwards. An awesomely well behaved driver - almost boringly so!

Using a DSP crossover to sort out time alignment and some minor tweaks in - well largely the room. Crossover is mine, and therefore perfect:)

Distortion across the band is very low, tenths of a % at all sensible frequencies, and even insensible SPL's.

The available dynamic range is fantastic - even scary.

In terms of fundamental capability, distortion and available dynamic range this - and from what I see the system you are building - will leave very little to be desired. The ultimate question comes down to one of taste and execution.

You seem to be executing this with a mountain of style... look forward to seeing how this finishes!

PS: I couldn't make myself go open baffle. The engineer in me said ported on the bass - but mainly so very high SPL at low frequencies don't challenge Xmax.

Atisley

great project. I love the Magico designs. the curved front pannels look beautyful. The looking and finish is key for their success. The looks of the TPl150 wave guide sucks. Imagine a wave guide made with a cnc router, and a 12p80nd in a separate modul with a magico-alike front pannel with the gorgeous curving, and cnc cabinet like the magico mini, and sub moduls. That would be world class performance, combined with world class design. Offer it at a reasonable price, and enough pr and show going, and commercial success will be garanteed. If i'd live in the u.s. australia, or europe, i would maybe try such a venture.

Attachments

• magicominionsteroids-1.jpg
    magicominionsteroids-1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Great progress as usual sir.

I'm quite interested to read your thoughts on the MiniDSP dsp/amps in the completed system. I also like how you put it in a simple birch ply box. Makes it look much more fitting in the overall system, IMO.

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Shortly, I'll be able to provide some feedback on the individual components. I have already tested the Beyma tweeter/horn.

In regards to MiniDSP, I have used the 2x4 and 4x10 products. Also, my technical support is provided by the principal of Redefy Audio, Henry, who is very experienced in MiniDSP applications. Henry will be setting up the bass module plus building the passive components for the mid and tweeter.

I figured 800 watts of D-class amplification with a pro driver of 96dB housed in an over enginnered cab should cover off most domestic listening requirements (and some). I have used Faital Pro 18's before in my large 4-way Cessaro clone project. See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0390 2.jpg
    IMG_0390 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0391 4.jpg
    IMG_0391 4.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 203
  • post-103876-0-29292300-1415871030.jpg
    post-103876-0-29292300-1415871030.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 211
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.