New 3-way, 18 inch bass, Beyma TPL150 AMT Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just a thought...

why not swap mid and tweeter positions, or place tweeter next to mid ?

Thanks.

I think a straight swap would be clunky...given the size of the mid bass unit. It weighs about 30Kgs also.

I think the angled down approach is working better...and I'm going to do more adjustment tonight.

I'm also going to assess the original metal Beyma wave guide against mine, as I'm seeing a dip around 3kHz. If I can't adjust this via the xover, and the Beyma wave guide is smoother...I'll probably reconfigure the top unit and insert the original guide. A minor bummer....but we'll see. The system is still sounding pretty awesome. With all the tight bass, it really hits you in the chest...also, because of active sub bass, it plays very nicely at low volumes also...nothing lost.

Thanks.

I think a straight swap would be clunky...given the size of the mid bass unit. It weighs about 30Kgs also.

I think the angled down approach is working better...and I'm going to do more adjustment tonight.

I'm also going to assess the original metal Beyma wave guide against mine, as I'm seeing a dip around 3kHz. If I can't adjust this via the xover, and the Beyma wave guide is smoother...I'll probably reconfigure the top unit and insert the original guide. A minor bummer....but we'll see. The system is still sounding pretty awesome. With all the tight bass, it really hits you in the chest...also, because of active sub bass, it plays very nicely at low volumes also...nothing lost.

looking great!

where is the TPL to 12P80Nd xo point, and slopes?

Did you build the horn for the TPL?

I ask because I am looking at either ordering a single TPL-200 horn anf copying the design or just figuring it out on my own. I will be building a large SH using the TPL. So I figured I could build a mold of the TPL horn and just continue the lines on my horn. But I am curious how you came up with your horn design.

Maybe I should try and learn CAD. I do have Draftsight or whatever it is called.

Hi , any progress with this project?
regards

Yep. All complete...now shipped to Malaysia. Client waiting on new valve amps for mid mids/tweeters. Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_4075 v2.jpg
    IMG_4075 v2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 464
  • tweeter gloss.jpg
    tweeter gloss.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 461
  • xover boxes with terminals.jpg
    xover boxes with terminals.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 460
Correction, 1,650Hz

Only LR2, I think that 3rd Harmonic distortion is too high for 1650hz, is difficult to find a good 12'' that over 1000hz the 3rd Harmonic not disturb the smooth sound of the TPL, over 1500hz LR3 or LR4 at less, this is the measurement of a good JBL with TPL at 1400hz, you can listen the transition from TPL to 12´´, I will wait your news about what will happen with your Beyma, good luck.
0z-jnYSwpoAwbrkSbBGpQN3kMMgS2KILfAHmFxTYwHwuva3I24HlpVYicuCHSGiUXma7wanFZEQV1Pu8QqaFPLJxS5Px5MkZ_IHIh10-tbwuWf5ZgOqPNf6jDKuORtUF3qR-T3H2sO-OVBm4CoWIaQjhD6eoBfg0vBoVmk-r5yzQgQHqVJ3WOy0fPYn8_2xmyE3Js2bQDPU049YtO0d1UwYxI-Bdj8mtIBp7Getg8Thstv8PpArCSLd-COZ1-IsEEB9S_8GOyo2hRjkATve4eEiQpU-tIFQbQWeh1aa3wEKeHG21y47Fbtq_QzdHYPjIEaC6AOTtQOzTY60xir0N5VYJeSplUE5JJeBvQgLujsve-Li49P6payHCSy2qukvHmMMUta92JFnGfJuq9xKlCO2lViI7NjWV2HxS7p4rjNlJ-X0U7VEpYlxooEa-Ed17Rtl_NIrNdlqw9y1GyIkLTHNsGGBP1Lk-o8W9hUTz9MfvRwK6hT1dxqd8y9l74UEWPMhqtjn5zT8v5Il_VRfpTfW1mMa-svHSrDaigpMu6Wsg7v947InHD3lzmUXbDz-cfIyzVy2gHABCsHlmjEs-Vnra8IZYQJ0zkPGqi2OW-A=w1097-h639-no

Only LR2, I think that 3rd Harmonic distortion is too high for 1650hz, is difficult to find a good 12'' that over 1000hz the 3rd Harmonic not disturb the smooth sound of the TPL, over 1500hz LR3 or LR4 at less, this is the measurement of a good JBL with TPL at 1400hz, you can listen the transition from TPL to 12´´, I will wait your news about what will happen with your Beyma, good luck.
0z-jnYSwpoAwbrkSbBGpQN3kMMgS2KILfAHmFxTYwHwuva3I24HlpVYicuCHSGiUXma7wanFZEQV1Pu8QqaFPLJxS5Px5MkZ_IHIh10-tbwuWf5ZgOqPNf6jDKuORtUF3qR-T3H2sO-OVBm4CoWIaQjhD6eoBfg0vBoVmk-r5yzQgQHqVJ3WOy0fPYn8_2xmyE3Js2bQDPU049YtO0d1UwYxI-Bdj8mtIBp7Getg8Thstv8PpArCSLd-COZ1-IsEEB9S_8GOyo2hRjkATve4eEiQpU-tIFQbQWeh1aa3wEKeHG21y47Fbtq_QzdHYPjIEaC6AOTtQOzTY60xir0N5VYJeSplUE5JJeBvQgLujsve-Li49P6payHCSy2qukvHmMMUta92JFnGfJuq9xKlCO2lViI7NjWV2HxS7p4rjNlJ-X0U7VEpYlxooEa-Ed17Rtl_NIrNdlqw9y1GyIkLTHNsGGBP1Lk-o8W9hUTz9MfvRwK6hT1dxqd8y9l74UEWPMhqtjn5zT8v5Il_VRfpTfW1mMa-svHSrDaigpMu6Wsg7v947InHD3lzmUXbDz-cfIyzVy2gHABCsHlmjEs-Vnra8IZYQJ0zkPGqi2OW-A=w1097-h639-no

OK, thanks for your feedback. The Beyma 12 inch does perform very well above 1,000Hz.

Andrew.

Try to locate/position the woofer boxes above the tweeter, leaving those other two unaltered.
Then, moreover, swap between the two ( mid ( mid:umbrella: :p ) and tweeter)
Thanks for the suggestion. The room is very large...and the tweeters are angled down a little to suit the listening position. I think it would be hard to put the mid woofer on top of the tweeter...though I understand your point. Regards. Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.