New 3-way, 18 inch bass, Beyma TPL150 AMT Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great build, :worship:

I am planning a similar build, but it will be a two way system from 80Hz and up, all active and controlled with a MiniDSP DDRC-88A + BM.

The TPL-150/H will be for sure the tweeter to use, so I dit a long search for a Bass/Mid unit that would be adequate to connect to the TPL at about 1700Hz and also go low enough in a closed (Qtc 0,56) box with a Linkwitz Transform filter, the one that game up in my eye's best suited is the 18 Sound 12NMB420 (I am from The Netherlands so the AE TD12M is out of reach for a normal price), bought one for testing and dit some close range measurements in a little dampened (Qtc 0,702) 21 liter closed box, I like what I see but would really appreciate your commends and advice about this (or other) bass/mid driver.

Greetings, Mario

18 Sound 12NMB420

With LT and low pass

Full range

Did you check the Beyma 12p80nd, the B&C 12NDL76 or even the new B&C 10MBX64. Seems to me a really good midbass driver, crossing about 1,6-1,7 kHz with a possible great dispersion match. A sub (15 or 18 inch would be great), crossing about 90-110 Hz.
I'm using the TPL150h right now with two Phl Audio 2460 (8 inch) in a two way Hypex DLCP and Ncore Active system with 12 inch Phl Audio subs. When having finished in building our MiniDsp Minisharc/NanoAVR preamp, I will go 2.5 way for TPL150h and the two midbass and a Dba but I'm also looking for a good solitaire 10 inch midbass ( 110hz to 1800 Hz) to minimize the channel/amp output.

I've completed a Beyma TPL150h, 12p80ndv2, 18p80nd, driven active with valve for mid and tops and a Marchand active crossover.
As others have written there is a lack of high frequencies above 10k. I know that you have mentioned the RAAL as the go to but if to match the sensitivity of the TPL I'd probably need to use the Lazy S which is 500+ Euros. Are there any other cheaper alternatives that others have used with good results.
Over the frequency range they cover they do sound amazing.

I've completed a Beyma TPL150h, 12p80ndv2, 18p80nd, driven active with valve for mid and tops and a Marchand active crossover.
As others have written there is a lack of high frequencies above 10k. I know that you have mentioned the RAAL as the go to but if to match the sensitivity of the TPL I'd probably need to use the Lazy S which is 500+ Euros. Are there any other cheaper alternatives that others have used with good results.
Over the frequency range they cover they do sound amazing.

That was the main reason I sold mine. Poor horizontal and vertical dispersion gives an unnatural sound in the upper frequencies. The only affordable option I can think of is the fountek neo pro.

The TPL150H has a waveguide with specified horizontal and vertical dispersion; it's not a horn.
When you say "poor horizontal and vertical dispersion gives an unnatural sound in the upper frequencies" I'd rather suppose that your design was bad.
IMO the tweeter is not to blame; there are many TPL150H based DIY (and commercial) designs around with excellent results.

Last edited:
The TPL150H has a waveguide with specified horizontal and vertical dispersion; it's not a horn.
When you say "poor horizontal and vertical dispersion gives an unnatural sound in the upper frequencies" I'd rather suppose that your design was bad.
IMO the tweeter is not to blame; there are many TPL150H based DIY (and commercial) designs around with excellent results.

The beaming is clearly audible especially when you compare directly to an AMT with a smaller radiating surface area. It is also visible in the measurements. I’m guessing that’s why the Arcus uses has a rear “ambience” tweeter

Its simple physics, you can’t change it or design it away without making other compromises. Whether you or others can hear it or not or whether you mind it or not is another thing all together

PS a waveguide IS a horn

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The beaming is clearly audible especially when you compare directly to an AMT with a smaller radiating surface area. It is also visible in the measurements. I’m guessing that’s why the Arcus uses has a rear “ambience” tweeter

Its simple physics, you can’t change it or design it away without making other compromises. Whether you or others can hear it or not or whether you mind it or not is another thing all together

PS a waveguide IS a horn

All horns are waveguides, however, all waveguides are not horns.

That was the main reason I sold mine. Poor horizontal and vertical dispersion gives an unnatural sound in the upper frequencies. The only affordable option I can think of is the fountek neo pro.

I own both. The Beyma is in a completely different league. Got a pair of NeoPro5i if you want them. Active EQ with Lynx Aurora 8 DAC and FabFilter ProQ2 filters and EQ's.

Last edited:
TPL150 dipole configuration uncalibrated no EQ at 1m.

Attachments

• beyma.jpg
    beyma.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 603
Back from hols in Coolangatta, Queensland.

Fitted drivers to the tweeters, added wool, felt pads etc. Added extra coat of gloss poly to the tweeter housing.

Next week, I'll assemble all units and test with amp and xovers.

Mrs wants the lounge room back....talk about demanding.

Attachments

• rear tweeter wool.jpg
    rear tweeter wool.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 490
  • finished in room.jpg
    finished in room.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 489
Back from hols in Coolangatta, Queensland.

Fitted drivers to the tweeters, added wool, felt pads etc. Added extra coat of gloss poly to the tweeter housing.

Next week, I'll assemble all units and test with amp and xovers.

Mrs wants the lounge room back....talk about demanding.

Looking good!!

One suggestion, if I may, and from a conceptual point of view rather than from actual experience: you migt want to try also with a reflecting piece of wood at the back of the TPL, reflecting downwards. Dificult to explain in words. Let me try.

The inside surface of the tweeter enclosure, as seen from the back of the TPL is a concave wall that will bounce back sound onto a focal point. Like an optical lense, it will take reflections from around the curve and reflect them back to a center point near the exit of the ribbon. So there would be sound exiting the AMT that is the summation of the back reflections.

If you placed a flat piece of wood with a vertical angle (say 70 degrees) it will reflect the back waves to the "floor" and those wouldn't be coming back. Anyway, and easy to try option.

My two cents :)

It must be getting to midnight for you. Merry Christmas!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.