New 3-way, 18 inch bass, Beyma TPL150 AMT Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great build, :worship:

I am planning a similar build, but it will be a two way system from 80Hz and up, all active and controlled with a MiniDSP DDRC-88A + BM.

The TPL-150/H will be for sure the tweeter to use, so I dit a long search for a Bass/Mid unit that would be adequate to connect to the TPL at about 1700Hz and also go low enough in a closed (Qtc 0,56) box with a Linkwitz Transform filter, the one that game up in my eye's best suited is the 18 Sound 12NMB420 (I am from The Netherlands so the AE TD12M is out of reach for a normal price), bought one for testing and dit some close range measurements in a little dampened (Qtc 0,702) 21 liter closed box, I like what I see but would really appreciate your commends and advice about this (or other) bass/mid driver.

Greetings, Mario

18 Sound 12NMB420

With LT and low pass

Full range

I always find the same problem I would like your comment, the critical distortion is when 3rd harmonic is over 2nd harmonic, in piano notes from 700 to 1khz I think is hard to listen. The TPL is too smooth on 3rd harmonic and the contrast is to big with the 12 inch, I think that both this and Beyma have the same problem, I use a Ciare and is clearly audible the 3rd H. who has found a really good 98db driver to match with TPL ?

Mario, thanks.

I've not had exp with 18 Sound, but appreciate their good reputation

Closest I've used is Faital Pro 15PR400, good for 35Hz to 4,000Hz.

Faital Pro 15PR400 Speakers - Faital Pro 15PR400 bass guitar and PA speaker that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 15PR400 800 watt high efficiency of 100dB SPL woofer for all mid-bass and bass applications. Faital Pro 15PR400 sp

Just about to start Vilvotreter bass using FP 12pr300 driver. The attached pic is not mine, except for the White yuichi 290 horns I built.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 319
Mario, thanks.

I've not had exp with 18 Sound, but appreciate their good reputation

Closest I've used is Faital Pro 15PR400, good for 35Hz to 4,000Hz.

Faital Pro 15PR400 Speakers - Faital Pro 15PR400 bass guitar and PA speaker that has a lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 15PR400 800 watt high efficiency of 100dB SPL woofer for all mid-bass and bass applications. Faital Pro 15PR400 sp

Just about to start Vilvotreter bass using FP 12pr300 driver. The attached pic is not mine, except for the White yuichi 290 horns I built.

What did you think of those Yuichi? Are they used from about 550Hz? Up to where? Obviously you didn't think they were the best match to the TPL-150H. Why?

I admire the pace at which you move forward. I have a hard time finding enough time to move my stuff on. Oh well. 'nough whinning :eek:

Yuichi good from 400hz if driver ok

That pic was a different rig, nothing to do with tpl.

On another Yuichi, see attached, we ran radian beryllium 2 inch driver to 10,000Hz, then small wood turned horn from 10kHz.

I realize it's a different rig. My question was: you like Yuichi from 400Hz and you chose a different midrange horn to pair with the TPL. Why?

I realize it's a different rig. My question was: you like Yuichi from 400Hz and you chose a different midrange horn to pair with the TPL. Why?
OK, to clarify, they were for different end users, not my own system. I love the Yuichi and horns generally personally. My current rig is a massive 200Hz custom horn with Altec "Giant Voice" 290 drivers and smaller tweeter. Bass is 420A Altec in large 250 liter box.

Finally setting up the system for final room testing. Phew.

Need to wire up amp box, then test.

Attachments

• in room front view 2.jpg
    in room front view 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 321
  • in room mid and bass.jpg
    in room mid and bass.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 647
  • in room rear.jpg
    in room rear.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 657
  • in room tweeter mid close.jpg
    in room tweeter mid close.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 666
  • in room up close.jpg
    in room up close.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 689
  • in room front view 1.jpg
    in room front view 1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 354
OK, just spent quite a while trimming all the necessary cables (20) in total.

Testing a few CD's now....as I type, Dire Straights, Money for Nothing (loud).

The system is performing very well from the get-go....though a little tight.

The listening room is rectangular, approx. 5m x 7m....I'm listening on the 'short' side...not as good as the long way. However, furniture dictates.

The couch is quite low...and the tweeters are very tall...so I'm sitting on 3 cushions to get better dispersion.

There is a huge amount of output...the bass (mid and LF) is extremely punchy...very different from my big Altec's, which is soft, yet deep. This system sounds more 'pro'.

The upper mid is something I'm getting my ear tuned to, as this is the single biggest difference I'm used to, particularly as I have just finished building the massive 200Hz horns with large format compression drivers. Very hard to compare the two...the horns are airy/tingly/light...this system is more laid back.

The tweeters are lovely...tingly. The sound stage is set back from the speakers, and nicely centred.

Brothers In Arms...nice snare/attack.

I would appreciate some more time for the drivers to loosen up....and if anyone is around Sunday arvo, feel free to visit. Kellyville.

Just played Michael Jackson, Thriller and Billy Jean...wow...huge output and super punchy, frightening...very cool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.