Inductor Loaded De-Lite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No worries, Ben. I consider this to be a start of the journey. I want to build also the SIT pp and the Goldmund Nemesis. And I would also like to try after that a tube amp, I had never had a tube amp.

My "good" speakers are really non sensitive, since they are Magnepans. I have a few others and some of them are really sensitive, so I will try variations... In general I don't listen very loud and mainly "light" music, like vocals etc, no symphonic and no rock. All play on turtable, a Clearaudio Master Reference.

The amps I will build, all are going to compete against my Symphonic Line RG7 to see how this goes.

Hi plasnu,

A. 1Vp input, 3.79W, 1.66% THD.

B, Pushed to the limit, 2.2 Vp input, 24W, 6,29% THD

Here are the screenshots...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-09-15 15-45-20.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-15 15-45-20.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot from 2020-09-15 15-56-53.png
    Screenshot from 2020-09-15 15-56-53.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 87
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi plasnu,

A. 1Vp input, 3.79W, 1.66% THD.

B, Pushed to the limit, 2.2 Vp input, 24W, 6,29% THD

Here are the screenshots...

I am repeating myself but I want your experiments to be safe.

Your "B" operating point is outside of the Safe Operating Area of the device. Most builders do not push devices even close to the boundaries of Safe Operating Areas. Destruction of the device is highly likely. 270W is also a lot of heat to dissipate.

Looking at the output voltage plot, the sine wave is noticeably asymmetric. It is clipping.

Ok did more homework, in the end I will learn about amplifiers.

It seems that there is always a DC negative offset, low in low input and increases as power increases. It seems also that is proportional to DC offset presenting in error log. No matter the input level, it is always there but it is 1/10th

The signal seems not to be clipping per se, although I understand that this is definitely a distortion.

I did more homework and decided to learn about the sweet spot and Vdd, Id and Vgs curves (actually to remember back from University, 20 years ago), so redesigned the circuit so that I am on the very good hotspot despite the low wattage. It proves that we have the same issue.

I then found out about bypass capacitors and also a capacitor in series with the signal in input. The in series capacitor with the signal gets things a lot better, although I did not know where exactly to put the bypass capacitor...
Maybe i will read about bypass capacitors and learn that too.

Maybe also a CS could help.

Any comments welcome.
BTW I run freq response and seems amazing to me...

Joined 2012
Paid Member
You are correct. The output voltage waveform was not clipping but showing the effects of high distortion as you said.

Out of curiosity, I did a LTspice simulation of the Fig. 7 circuit with choke load in place of light bulbs with both 8R and 4R speaker and I did not get any errors in the run.

I ran it at 35V and 1R source resistor which resulted in 1.5A currrent. Results were about 10W at 4.5% THD for 8R and about 5W at 4.5% THD at 4R.

The apparent DC offset at the output must be due to something in the output coupling capacitor model. I also displayed the output voltage before and after the coupling capacitor.

Edit:

After thinking about it, the apparent offset is probably due to the V=0 axis located at the Vaverage location. The distorted sine waveform is no longer symmetrical so the horizontal axis is shifted.

I did another run showing clipping.

Attachments

• 8R 10W.png
    8R 10W.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 4R 5W.png
    4R 5W.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Clipping run attached.

Regarding leaving Class A, single ended amplifiers do not leave Class A the way push-pull amplifiers do. Overdriven single ended amplifiers can only clip.

Attachments

• Screenshot (52).png
    Screenshot (52).png
    210.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
The apparent DC offset at the output must be due to something in the output coupling capacitor model. I also displayed the output voltage before and after the coupling capacitor.

Edit:

After thinking about it, the apparent offset is probably due to the V=0 axis located at the Vaverage location. The distorted sine waveform is no longer symmetrical so the horizontal axis is shifted.

I did another run showing clipping.

I am not sure what you mean. The apparent offset is the one we are talking about right? You mean there is no issue?

Anyway, I will run with 0.5Ohm and whatever happens. I seem to be able to deliver 15W.
Current then goes to 2.8A on coil. Maybe i will install a 3A fuse just in case.

Another question. I run the model with 50mH and 0.5Ohm internal coil and it seems OK. That means that maybe we can get other coil than 193V with lower induction?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
The "apparent offset" that I referred to was the difference in +V and -V of the output voltage sine wave. I called it "apparent offset" because I think it is not due to a negative DC voltage offsetting the AC, but I believe it is due to the sine curve being affected by distortion so that it is no longer symmetric about the V=0 axis, causing the V=0 axis to shift upwards. Of course that is just my theory. I am not an electrical engineer, just an amateur diyer so I may be wrong.

Regardless of what Iq you run, you need to consider the power dissipation of the mosfet, as I mentioned many times previously.

The inductance of the load choke affects low frequency response. I did a simulation with 0.15H and 1R and another with 0.050H and 0.50R:

Attachments

• Screenshot (54).png
    Screenshot (54).png
    169.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (55).png
    Screenshot (55).png
    171.4 KB · Views: 76
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.