First cycle distortion - Graham, what is that?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Come on Petr, you know this waveform is nonsense. You have connected samples with straight vertical and horizontal lines, and that is completely artificial, the signal does not look like this.
Run it through a band limiting filter or an ADC anti-aliasing filter like in the real world.
Don't try to prove something with stuff that doesn't exist.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is a result of your not knowing and not a deliberate misleading.

Jan

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Jan, there are people in this forum using 'NOS' dacs without any output filtering (zero-order hold outputs). They produce technically improper analog audio signals such as Petr posted. Some people think it sounds good; no idea why.

Eh, nothing in this world can produce signals as posted by Petr. According to him, they all change value in the infinitely short time.
Even NOS DAC will have some RC filter between output and next stage, at least RC filtering formed by wire resistance and cable capacitance. This integrates signal and we have real word signal change speed.

"As we can see here nothing resembles a sinusoid, even its half-cycle."
Whoosh!
That went straight over your head. Missing the point that I took a deliberately simple example.
And that waveform woefully misrepresents a real signal, most likely due to far too low a sampling frequency, if, indeed, it is a "real" digitised one.

Last edited:
Jan - I agree that amplifier bandwidth in the market place is somewhat of a "faster is better" approach.
My own approach for choosing 200kHz is for a few reasons. First, it is a realistic possibility to achieve, even with 4MHz transistors, but easier with modern 30MHz devices. Secondly, it is "ten times" the audio bandwidth, which seemed to me to be an optimum target to achieve a good 20kHz response with low phase shift. Thirdly, and this is where some judgement applies, the slew rate of a higher power amplifier needs to be faster than a lower power one to maintain a similar phase response. Fourthly, I've been convinced of a more realistic sound since comparing Arthur Bailey's 30W amp with my first 2N3055 (now H, made of unobtainium) which I later found struggled beyond 10kHz, despite improving the compensation (some designs at the time being somewhat substandard, shall we say). Bailey's design pumped out a few watts at 200kHz, although the bandwidth was never explicitly stated was about 200kHz.
Lastly, in a chain of systems, all of the RC limitations add up, and I considered that keeping the power amp to a realistic minimum would minimise the cumulative impact.
I'm sure commercial designers will have different priorities.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, I have said these are my reasons. Out of curiosity, what bandwidth do you think is adequate for a hifi amp?

I have no specific number at the top of my head. I would have to put the arguments together, do some calculations, add a safety factor or something, then arrive at a reasoned number. Lot of work ;-)

Jan

"Which means that others' personal preferences are equally valid."

Not quite, though. Someone may have an opinion that 5kHz is OK. But it would not be valid as it is well established that the majority of people can hear up to 20kHz. 5kHz barely scraped in the old DIN45500.
Is there a new agreed standard for hifi or has it just been left for individuals and manufacturers free rein?

I get the impression that Petr-1951 has never tried to see a real-time signal from the output of the same sound card. What appears to be a sharp front when stretched turns out to be a very smooth slope with a low rise rate, which is not a problem for a real amplifier. Moreover, I have not listened to any dense and saturated tracks - the result is unchanged, but natural.
On the other hand, what is visually visible and sent to the sound card is one thing, and what comes out of it into the amplifier is somewhat different)

Come on Petr, you know this waveform is nonsense. You have connected samples with straight vertical and horizontal lines, and that is completely artificial, the signal does not look like this.
Run it through a band limiting filter or an ADC anti-aliasing filter like in the real world.
Don't try to prove something with stuff that doesn't exist.

Jan

Jan, give me a filter circuit (good according to your concepts DAC) with which the signal from the CD sounds good.
I will process and show how the sound signal will look like

p.s.
fagos, it would be better if you kept your speculations to yourself and did not flood here

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
So, which one is it Petr? Do you intentionally use false signal representation in support to your ‘arguments’ or do you believe that audio signal is like that?

Now running away from amplifiers to the DAC territory. For what? To prove that their output looks just like on your graph with another flawed simulation?

"So you feel that it should be equal to the hearing limit 20k? Then why would you want 200k?"
Do I detect a bit if mischievousness? Answering a question with a question? :)
I'm sure if you re-read my post 1127 you'll see why.
To put one number on this a 200kHz amplifier will have less than 0.05dB influence on a 20kHz signal. I'm sure you knew that too.