DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Hey @mainframe99 ,
Thanks I have just started my journey into DIY audio. This being my very first project. I'm not from any electronic background so it's very hard for me to logically understand anything. This is the first time I have soldered a PCB myself (watched 2 hours of soldering content on youtube ). Coming back to the topic my test voltages are 35-0-35 AC that is +/-50VDC. Target rail voltages are +/- 70VDC , I'm planning on using MJL4281&MJL4302 hope that's a good option. Yes Andy has sent the entire kit to me (no wonder I was able to get it up and running). Please share your inputs. Huge thanks to all of you guys for teaching me something new I swear I never imagined LED's have so much to do :ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: 1 users
Some progress has been made regarding my design to upgrade the auxiliary circuits of my Wolverine power amplifier. The design has now progressed far enough to order a prototype PCB.

I used KiCad EDA for this. Appreciating the program more and more. Once the PCB design is done, a 3D render can be made without much extra effort, offering a visual check of the gerbers and chosen components.

The design provides for:
Two step soft turn on of the power transformer.
Speaker muting during on and off switching.
DC fault detection.
Solid state output relays with low RDS ON mosfets.
Low-voltage on/off push button power switch.
Activation by the preamplifier with a 12V signal.
Two additional optically coupled inputs for monitoring current or temperature.
Latching DC error state in eeprom over a power down condition, until manual reset.
Detection of mains power interruption.
Microprocessor control using Atmega328p.
Software configurable properties.
Completely optical linked to avoid disturbance of audio signal.

ATMEGAauxiliarycircuits.png

Reactions: 12 users
I have not touched BOM or build guide in quite a while, I usually build from a schematic supplemented with my own knowledge of the subject, this works very well for me. My amp preforms exceptionally good, is reliable, stable and thermally compensated just the way I like it. Nothing blows up.

My question in #2758 is legit and intended to help.

Thank you. It is helpful and welcome (to me, at least).

I was given 4 complete sets of the Wolverine amp project. It is the RF3-4 (V4.0) and the matching IPS V3.8. I have included images for verification. Where can I procure the BOM and Build Guide? I wasn't part of the group buy buy I acquired the PCB's from someone that (presumably) was. If whom ever is in charge of vetting things before providing access to the above information, I can provide you with relevant information on who and where they came from. I would like to start building out this project and that is difficult without knowing the parts and build overview. Thank you in advance.

IMG_0918.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Some progress has been made regarding my design to upgrade the auxiliary circuits of my Wolverine power amplifier. The design has now progressed far enough to order a prototype PCB.

I used KiCad EDA for this. Appreciating the program more and more. Once the PCB design is done, a 3D render can be made without much extra effort, offering a visual check of the gerbers and chosen components.

The design provides for:
Two step soft turn on of the power transformer.
Speaker muting during on and off switching.
DC fault detection.
Solid state output relays with low RDS ON mosfets.
Low-voltage on/off push button power switch.
Activation by the preamplifier with a 12V signal.
Two additional optically coupled inputs for monitoring current or temperature.
Latching DC error state in eeprom over a power down condition, until manual reset.
Detection of mains power interruption.
Microprocessor control using Atmega328p.
Software configurable properties.
Completely optical linked to avoid disturbance of audio signal.

View attachment 1281425
will your project be made public?

Reactions: 2 users
will your project be made public?
For now it's not more then a design and I have not made any decision on it's future status. Should the project finish successfully, that's the best moment to decide. In what case I probable want to prevent monetization by other people.

Prototype PCB's are ordered today. Next up is sourcing parts, writing software, initial testing and building it in an amp for on the job testing. It wont finish on short term. I thank you for the enthusiast reactions.

Reactions: 1 users
For now it's not more then a design and I have not made any decision on it's future status. Should the project finish successfully, that's the best moment to decide. In what case I probable want to prevent monetization by other people.

Prototype PCB's are ordered today. Next up is sourcing parts, writing software, initial testing and building it in an amp for on the job testing. It wont finish on short term. I thank you for the enthusiast reactions.
I'd be available for a future verification build if you need someone later in the developement phase.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@stuartmp
I have bought
2 pairs of IPS + EF3-3
Not sure I can use all of it do a balanced mode power amp? And even in balanced mode, can I also connect in single end use? Can you simple draw these connection diagram for my reference?
We have not tested this as it would require lower rail voltages and new values to be calculated.

Reactions: 1 user