Cello One. Good Amplifier 15 Watt with TMC and Laterals

I tried to adjust the TMC circuit, here are initial results:
Thd at 1kHz: 0.000050% (full power)
Thd at 20kHz: 0.019115%
Slew rate (estimate): 42 V/us
Phase Margin: 74
Gain Margin: 15

I also increased VAS current to 8.5mA.
Lineup, I hope you don't mind me messing with your amp. Please review and let us know if these changes make sense?

View attachment 1243481

View attachment 1243478

FFT looks good, with floor at -210 dB, and all harmonics below audible level of -120dB

View attachment 1243479
I will study your changes @minek123
Have downloaded your schematic.

Why did you change the VAS current?

This is the squarewave with 200nF across load with the original Cello circuit
It is 2Vp-p and a Zobel filter in place.
It seems to be stable but with overshot.

Cello One_02b 200nF Square.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Why did you change the VAS current?

1) See D. Self's book page 163, 6th edition
Optimal VAS current is determined to be between 6-10mA

2) See this thread https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/vas-requirements-for-mosfet-ops.404529/post-7484758
Same conclusion as above

3) From my experience, higher VAS current USUALLY, with some limitations/exceptions, makes amps
a) more stable
b) faster
In most of my simulations, I was able to get the best results with VAS current 10mA and higher.

4) Most of amps I've seen, with 1 output pair (even laterals), have VAS current over 6mA

Last edited:
It seems to be stable but with overshot.
Was the #62 waveform acquired at point T? If so, it may be a damped vibration (f=1/(2π√(5uH*200nF))=159kHz) due to LC resonance.
To check stability, it is necessary to observe the ”OUT” point.

If the output hits the positive rail and becomes saturated during excessive input, excessive current can flow through U10 and the bases of U6.
I recommend adding an overcurrent protection circuit.

diyaudio.com.jpeg

The resistor added to the emitter of U6 should be about half the value of R3.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Was the #62 waveform acquired at point T? If so, it may be a damped vibration (f=1/(2π√(5uH*200nF))=159kHz) due to LC resonance.

It might be disputable, but my impression was that all sims should be done without Thiele LR network (especially squares).
Some amps don't sim/behave well without LR, and designers say that LR is REQUIRED for proper behavior; I wouldn't trust such
amps. In my eyes LR is only for 'emergencies' (like protecting amp from voltage feedback from speaker under certain conditions).
Amp should sim well without it, especially with simple speaker models (R only, or RC only, no L).

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 user
This is the squarewave with 200nF across load with the original Cello circuit
It is 2Vp-p and a Zobel filter in place.
It seems to be stable but with overshoot
Please use scope time division like 10us/div or 20us/div. I do not understand why you use 200us/ div, such setting masks any details and shows nothing on stability.

Reactions: 1 users

If the output hits the positive rail and becomes saturated during excessive input, excessive current can flow through U10 and the bases of U6.
I recommend adding an overcurrent protection circuit.

View attachment 1243670
The resistor added to the emitter of U6 should be about half the value of R3.

In one amplifier of mine (on the drawing board), I have no degeneration on the VAS and therefore use another method to limit the base current during clipping: add collector resistance to U10 (buffer / beta enhancer).

What do you consider a safe limit for base current on a 2SA1209 for example? Datasheet does not specify it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Amp should sim well without it, especially with simple speaker models (R only, or RC only, no L).

I was wrong here. Actually when testing capacitive loads, RL Thiele network helps a lot.
Of course it would be better if amp can drive 1uF load without it, but it's rather not viable proposition for most of amps.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...load-capacitance-how-much.145249/post-1845424

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-di...to-avoid-instability-capacitive-loading.html#

Last edited:
you most likely will need a "better" diode than 1N4148/1N914 as a Baker clamp. One thing "better" means in this case is low capacitance. There's some good discussion with test results and recommended diodes around here somewhere - a search will find it.