2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"The foundation of a "CFA" is the lower impedance on the feedback node. So I use a classic VFA circuit but pull the impedance of that node down with a low resistance in the feedback divider."

naaah. The foundation of CFA is

1. The TIS input current is directly related to the value of Rfeedback in CFA - ergo high SR as a matter of course
2. The lower loop gains mean that the OPS pole falls above the ULGF without pole splitting - i.e. no need for dominant pole comp as in classic VFA - ergo wide closed loop bandwidths

Taken together, they usually result in gain/bandwidth dependence being broken, which of course is not the case in MC comp'd VFA's

(CFA can also be dominant pole comp'd . . . but then you of course loose the wide loop gain bandwidth property which some designers see as a virtue)

But, I will step out of this now - I dont want to hijack Tony's thread.

:)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Fighting the hum ... power supply reloaded ...

... start tuning for lowest SNR with homebrew h-field probe ... need to add some cnc machined mu-metal.

SNR from lab is as low as 125 (A-weighted)
Current SNR is about 110 db (A-weighted)

Picture 3: homebrew h-field probe
Pictures 4 and 5 are showing rectifying spikes. Using the h-field probe it is very easy to find "hum" hotspots. ;)

BR, Toni

Fighting the hum ... power supply reloaded ...

Milling Mu-Metal was a big catastrophe so I decided to go for lasercutted and powder coated steel plates for the powersupply...

Attachments

• sa2014_lasercutted_steel_powder_coated.jpg
    sa2014_lasercutted_steel_powder_coated.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 718
As for the lack of input decoupling causing oscillation, here is a real life example that you can investigate if you're curious:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/173462-studio-reference-amplifier.html#post4076796

You can simulate the circuit and add or remove the cap.

I sim that amp (SR200) and it oscillated. I don't know why builder not report the oscillation? I add Miller compensation to stop the oscillation. May be the PCB add some leakage capacitance?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I have a mill but I have never tried to work Mu-Metal.
I have read that it is difficult, what was the problem?
I expect soft iron will be quite satisfactory anyway.

Best wishes
David

The major problem during milling was the cooling of the cutter. I have used automated spray cooling (lubricant: WST20) which seems to be not enough to cool down the cutter. Even manual drilling is difficult - a HSS drill is unusable after some holes.
The soft iron plates weight is of course higher as the aluminium/mu-metal combination. But soft iron is also much cheaper... ;)

BR, Toni

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Fighting the hum using soft iron ...

Using soft iron for power supply housing I got it down to

• 107 dB SNR full bandwidth and
  • 114 dB SNR A-weighted
referenced to 200W@8R. Mostly noise in the range below 1k.

Seems to be my technical limit putting 4 Channels and 2 x 600VA toroids in one case...

THD+N 20Hz - 20kHz 200W@8R below 0.003%
THD+N 20Hz - 20kHz 230W@8R below 1%

THD+N 20Hz - 20kHz 350W@4R below 0.004%
THD+N 20Hz - 20kHz 390W@4R below 1%
(measurement bandwith 80kHz)

Attached some pictures about "making of" the power supply housing
"part 1".

BR, Toni

Attachments

• DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC00143.jpg
    DSC00143.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00135.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC00133.jpg
    DSC00133.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC00129.jpg
    DSC00129.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 816
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 836
  • DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 843
  • DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 861
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Fighting the hum using soft iron ...

Attached some pictures about "making of" the power supply housing
"part 2".

BR, Ton

Attachments

• DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC00153.jpg
    DSC00153.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00150.jpg
    DSC00150.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC00149.jpg
    DSC00149.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC00148.jpg
    DSC00148.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC00160.jpg
    DSC00160.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thx for the kind words!

To achive lowest possible SNR to come close to the lab measurements it may be necessary to build 2 separate monoblocks. Currently an optimized wiring is difficult as 2 channels share one power supply.

One of my next Ideas is to build a 3 channel monoblock tower design placed directly at the speakers with included active crossover.

Br, Toni

I wonder what a modular design in the same chassis would look like i.e. dual mono with room for a third? I'm very intrigued by the performance of the ATI Signature amps versus your project. Of course, I suspect their advertised specs are only good for the two channel amp rather than 7 channels, but it must be quite a feat to have a modular design that can scale the number of channels and still optimise performance.

EDIT: ATI just responded to me re SNR for multiple channels:

The specifications for THD, signal-to-noise ratio, bandwidth, etc. are identical regardless of the number of channels mounted in the chassis. The only spec that changes is crosstalk.

Last edited:
Thx for the kind words!

To achive lowest possible SNR to come close to the lab measurements it may be necessary to build 2 separate monoblocks. Currently an optimized wiring is difficult as 2 channels share one power supply.

One of my next Ideas is to build a 3 channel monoblock tower design placed directly at the speakers with included active crossover.

Br, Toni

Good plan! Have you read Self’s book on active crossovers? I have it but haven’t had time to study it :(

I don’t suppose you could be persuaded to do a write up of this amp design a la Bonsai aka Andrew C. Russell (e.g. http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/The_e-Amp_V2.03.pdf?) There’s some really very good stuff in this thread and it would be great to have a summary of the investigations involved and the final conclusions that were reached.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I wonder what a modular design in the same chassis would look like i.e. dual mono with room for a third? I'm very intrigued by the performance of the ATI Signature amps versus your project. Of course, I suspect their advertised specs are only good for the two channel amp rather than 7 channels, but it must be quite a feat to have a modular design that can scale the number of channels and still optimise performance.

EDIT: ATI just responded to me re SNR for multiple channels:

The loss of SNR headroom in my 4 Channel amp may be caused by the facts:

• that 2 channels are sharing one DC power supply.
  • that it has no balanced inputs.
  • using cheap transformers with e.g. no EMI shield between primary and secondary
  • unoptimized cable routing.
BR, Toni

I think you should be very proud of your achievement nonetheless.

Have you measured crosstalk? I'm still learning about this stuff but I assume when you measure noise and calculate SNR you are measuring a channel at a time, shorting the input and measuring noise on the output.

Fully balanced typology is likely key. Re toroids, I've found these guys helpful.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Good plan! Have you read Self’s book on active crossovers? I have it but haven’t had time to study it :(

Yes - I have this book (IMHO very good and detailed).
In 2012 I have build a LR24 active crossover and I'm using it for every day listening. The main reason, why I always build 4 channel amplifier...;)

I don’t suppose you could be persuaded to do a write up of this amp design a la Bonsai aka Andrew C. Russell (e.g. http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/The_e-Amp_V2.03.pdf?) There’s some really very good stuff in this thread and it would be great to have a summary of the investigations involved and the final conclusions that were reached.
Very good document. If I would have enough spare time...
For now there is a maintained index in post #1

BR, Toni