2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

When I was implementing my SMD version of Toni's Main Control Unit (MCU) we found that his auto detection software could not correctly identify the board configuration if the gate of Q2 had a residual charge. A 27k resistor (R1) to ground from the gate of Q2 fixed the issue. I have revised the board layout to accommodate the extra resistor and also made some changes to the silk to better identify a number of the connector pins. I have attached Gerber files for a 2xboard panel of the revised layout. Also attached are images of the single board configuration and schematic. Note I have not sent this to fabrication and have not tested the new board layout. The changes to the board layout were, however, rather minor. I have plenty of spare boards from the previous version if anyone is interested. I just soldered required R1 on the underside of the board.

Note that my pin order for the 2 and 4-pin connectors is reversed from that which Toni uses on his other boards - a key reason why I have endeavoured to make the silk on this board very clear.

Attachments

• MCU v1.3 panel.zip
    192.3 KB · Views: 116
  • MCU v1.3 top.png
    MCU v1.3 top.png
    91 KB · Views: 682
  • MCU v1.3 bottom.png
    MCU v1.3 bottom.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 675
  • MCU v1.3 schematic 1.png
    MCU v1.3 schematic 1.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 683
  • MCU v1.3 schematic 2.png
    MCU v1.3 schematic 2.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi Tony,

Do you test sounding of Ixys's MOSFET and what type (BJT, V-MOSFET, L-MOSFET) you like?
I'm interesting this Ixys type, it's a good news for designers who want use MOSFET for output stage.

All of them "sound same" - I can't hear the difference between 0.0002% and 0.0006% THD+N at full power 1kHz. All amplifiers also have nearly same low IMD distortions and very good THD figures up to and above 20kHz due to TMC compensation.
And the good news: all parts are available even when 2SC4793/2SA1837 are discontinued from Toshiba but still available from UNISONIC via Medium Power-Driver online at Profusion.
The IXYS hearing test will be next week, when the new PCBs arrive.

BR, Toni

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You need more than 25000? :D
Mouser will receive 1200pcs tomorrow. I can leave some to You :)
Sajti
Of course I don't need so much - but maybe SA20XX builders? ;)
Thx for offer - I have more as enough on stock (>1k).:)

The 25k pcs per quarter are worldwide. The 2 transistor types are used in many old and new amplifier projects. Lets have a look how fast they are out of stock...

BR, Toni

Thx! Study finished - all parts identified? BTW: for MCU configuration you need a TTL2RS232 adapter...

BR, Toni
Is this the story?
The communication between P.C and MCU require a RS232to TTL converter.
Using a terminal program like, windows terminal,you send some values like start delay,temperature alarm e.t.c?
I found this circuit .It is a RS232 to RS458 converter. First stage basically is a max232.Is the output of max232(RX,TX) suitable for the communication?
Is it as alternative methode a usb to serial converter?
Where i can find some guides about MCU configuration?

Attachments

• DSC08770.jpg
    DSC08770.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC08773.jpg
    DSC08773.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member