2stageEF high performance class AB power amp / 200W8R / 400W4R

Joined 2011
Paid Member
output stage interviews?
Unfortunately too generic to find the topic you mean...

But maybe the effect has more to do with something like this:

• V-MOSFET thermal coefficient changes rapid if junction temperature reaches e.g. 70 degree celsius?
During my tests the heatsink has had about 50 degree so the junction easily could have had 70 degrees ...

Complicated stuff and not helped by the usual mosfet charts showing -55, 25 and 150 charts. This paper has some nice explanations about why this is a little more complex than just carrier mobility effect. http://www.springer.com/cda/content...407478-c1.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-1268751-p174130080

In practice I found that around 70 degrees is where vertical mosfets start behaving a bit more stable from a bias and temp runaway perspective. In other words I want to set my bias such that the sinks are around 50-60 degrees. Still risky without some sort of compensation though.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Vertical MOSFET - Electro-Thermal Instability (ETI)

It has to do with the thermal time constant of the junction to case.
In practice I found that around 70 degrees is where vertical mosfets
Thanks for reply. Maybe I found the explanation. As the heatsink was already very hot during longer test cycles the ETI curve may have moved to the left side (lower Vds). Also the mosfet's where not optimally thermally mounted with cheap and many times reused keratherm pads.

An AN from Ixys:

http://www.ixys.com/Documents/AppNotes/IXAN0068.pdf
Electro-Thermal Instability (ETI) can be understood as a result of positive feedback mechanism on the surface of the Power MOSFET forced into linear mode of operation:
- There is a local increase of junction temperature;
- This causes local decrease of Vgs(th) (MOSFET threshold voltage has negative temperature coefficient);
- This causes increase of local current density, Jds ~ (Vgs - V gs(th))2 ;
- Increase of local current density causes increase of local power dissipation and further increase of local temperature.
BR, Toni

Attachments

• electro_thermal_instability.png
    electro_thermal_instability.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,019
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
SA2015: using vertical mosfets IXTH80N20L and IXTH48P20P

... attached the schematic of the working sample.

First measurements see post # 2171 and post # 2174 above.

Note: Schematic free to use only for non commercial DIY projects.

WARNING: this circuit is using high DC voltages and is therefore dangerous. I am not responsible for any costs, damage and/or injury using these schematics and BOM. Do not use this schematics if you do not have the necessary experience and knowledge.

Have fun!

Toni

Attachments

• sa2015_v_mosfet_ixys_single_schematic.png
    sa2015_v_mosfet_ixys_single_schematic.png
    260 KB · Views: 2,649
  • sa2015_v_mosfet_ixys_single_schematic.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
... wanted to test the SA2015 also with SEMELAB power horses MG6330 and MG9410 which I have some pieces on stock.
Found no simulation models but instead another bad news for DIYers: :eek:
just found out this power horses are already discontinued. So no need for spice models. The IXYS power horses hopefully will be available some time...

BR, Toni

Test sample using 1 pair of IXTH80N20L and IXTH48P20P up und running!

Quick THD+N tests (80k bw) with SOA circuit in situ:

• THD+N 20k@100W@8R: 0.0035%
  • THD+N 20k@200W@4R: 0.0042%

Rgate 15R. No oscillations detected. No signs of instability at +/-50V supply.
More tests and tuning data will follow as soon as I have repaired my test sample (a f...y short circuit during a f...y screw driver accident during tests :eek:)

Dave Zan's simulation models seems to match pretty good with the devices in reality. Bias settings in reality as expected from spice design!
Bias temperature stability similar to SA2015 IRFP240/IRFP9240.

Have fun,
Toni

So I wonder what 2 pair would be like on a shorter PCB, comfortably fitting vertically in a 5U case.... ;) 4 x mono build anyone?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
SA2015: using vertical mosfets IXTH80N20L and IXTH48P20P

IXYS MOSFETS IXTH80N20L and IXTH48P20P:

So I wonder what 2 pair would be like on a shorter PCB, comfortably fitting vertically in a 5U case.... ;) 4 x mono build anyone?

Those parts are very expensive for DIY and too expensive to match yourself for an amplifier project. I have bought 10 pieces each and couldn't find one well matched pair ...

Maybe you need to buy 100 pcs to find good matched pairs.
Some prices:

• 1 pc of IXTH80N20L ~ 12 - 13 EUR.
  • 1 pc of IXTH48P20P ~ 10 - 11 EUR.
  • 100 pcs of IXTH80N20L ~ 900 - 1000 EUR.
  • 100 pcs of IXTH48P20P ~ 700 - 800 EUR.
If you buy 100 pcs of IRFP240 or 100 pcs of IRFP9240 you will get them for 115 - 150 EUR.

BR, Toni

Howdy all. My family and I are moving to the US and as a result, I have the two LM317-based power supplies and the astx MCU module shown in the rightmost picture in post 2169 available to be sent for free to someone who can make use of them building Toni's amps. They will need to ship out this week. Let me know if interested.

Howdy all. My family and I are moving to the US and as a result, I have the two LM317-based power supplies and the astx MCU module shown in the rightmost picture in post 2169 available to be sent for free to someone who can make use of them building Toni's amps. They will need to ship out this week. Let me know if interested.
I'm interested as my Toni's amplifier not finished yet because many parts missing.:)

Last edited: