My F4 build (questions, bragging, and other thoughts)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
P1 Trimpot to max = clockwise 25 turns = output ≈ 5k ohm?

be inventive - find a way to check with ohmmeter
I can't remember and I don't care much about CW/CCW even on my own pcbs, always trusting only what DMM is showing

Not sure about how to connect the trimpot (not p1) in series? In-out is easy but where do I connect pin 3 / gnd?

sorry, I wasn't precise - I meant P1, not additional trimpot

just correct 10K position, as already told

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you ZM, good advices as always. Measure output I would have anyway [emoji1]

It would/will be SO cool if baby-F4 comes to life after just this issue!

[emoji1317] david

I‘m a bit in type-before-thinking-mode, most of the advices become clear just after i go „huh?“... [emoji51]

Joined 2017
Paid Member
now it's closing in...

Heya!
Got a spare hour to try doing the correction.
Replaced R8 (22.1K) on first channel, switched on (first with light-bulb, then fully) and here's BIAS! instant 0.13mA, offset between 0.00 and 0.03 mA.

Next question: Why does it not get warm? The channel has been on for ~15 minutes, no real temp-rise.... (heatsink and device are both room-temp, 18°C)

:confused:

Joined 2017
Paid Member
When I was in need of a little distraction, I went to the chassis and tried my mechanic skills, making a prototype of the LED-indicator:

Since I have dozens of rectangular leds, I'm using them for the front. Cutting out a hole 5 x 2 mm is a bit of a challenge though. (As one can barely see, the LED sits snugly, but the cutout got half a mm too long). I luckily made it on a spare part.
Next try: round the led, make the hole 5 x 2 mm with round ends...

edit: That yellowish stuff is the masking tape protecting the anodized aluminium.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 212
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did you set P1 to max value before you power up the other channel. With R9=5K
(and I'm assuming R8=22.1k) the TL431 will give fairly high Vgs voltages even with P1
set to max (~5k) and you may already get a healthy amount of current
flowing through the mosfets. And if P1 was close to zero that current will be very
high.