The Singing Bush Tips 'n' Tricks

Decided to go with a single rail SLB CapMx for each mono block that will be fed off of Antek 300Va 50V transformers. Question on the transformers. Is everyone using Antek transformers for monoblocks wiring the secondaries in parallel? Do the primaries need to be wired in paralleled also? And phasing of primaries figured out?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
ZM - looking for advice.

I started measuring in REW at 1W, 5W, and 10W. I printed a sheet to write down distortions while ramping up from 30V-37V.

At first I thought my distortion figures were way out of whack compared to what you and BenMah were showing, but I think what I'm seeing is I need to turn up the voltages.

I noticed the trend that 2nd order distortion kept dropping as SIT drain voltage increased. And 3rd order moves up.

I got to 46V and wanted to check here before I try too high and let magic smoke out of something...

Now I'm wondering.
How high CAN the drain voltage go?
How high SHOULD it go?

Background facts: 2SK182ES, 2A3, 67.4V Rail Voltage
Both channels track in a similar fashion.

Take a look at this:

SIT measurements, Mu Follower, and amplifier build

60V supply and 3A, so Vds about 30V?

Lower distortion with higher current, no idea of distribution of harmonics. Probably worth investigating.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bubba sent me this photo few days ago

:clown:

Attachments

• DBZ.jpeg
    DBZ.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 389
Yes, rhthatcher! Thank you for tracking that one down. I thought there had been a similar layout but I couldn’t find it. So it appears thermal tracking between devices is not an issue if they are on opposite sides of the chassis?

Thank you Ben! Yes, I know the diagram is a little crude. The shaded element in front is a vertically mounted transformer. A few weeks ago I found some .125” thick 2” x 4” aluminum angle on flea bay that was precut into 1-3/4” wide pieces. I used one in the BabelJ2 I just finished and it worked great to hold that transformer vertically to the baseplate of the chassis.

2" X 4" ALUMINUM ANGLE 1/8" THICK 1 3/4" IN LENGTH (8 PIECES) | eBay

Last edited: