Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Wayne's BA 2018 linestage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2020, 10:40 AM   #1841
andynor is offline andynor  Norway
diyAudio Member

I agree. If twisted is good enough, and FREE, I will go that route. Plus there are all sourts of colours in a CAT6, so easy to work with and connect etc. And I have 60 feet of CAT6, so should last a few builds

Any drawbacks in using a front mounted AC switch? Something with an integrated LED would be nice. But KIS would be an IEC with switch, fewer parts and connections and most important: less drilling.

Last edited by andynor; 21st October 2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 21st October 2020, 10:57 AM   #1842
myleftear is online now myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

OTOH, if you go the front-switch route, you could just pull in a power-cable directly to the switch, thus you‘d just need to drill a hole on the back (to insert a grommet and the cable) and one on the front. Instead of cutting out a square for that iec-thing. (I question the effect of those filter-things, but could be wrong here too)...
And having the switch at the front is more... „finished“?
Old 21st October 2020, 11:04 AM   #1843
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Don't forget to fuse before the switch.
Old 21st October 2020, 11:07 AM   #1844
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftear View Post
OTOH, if you go the front-switch route, you could just pull in a power-cable directly to the switch, thus you‘d just need to drill a hole on the back (to insert a grommet and the cable) and one on the front. Instead of cutting out a square for that iec-thing. (I question the effect of those filter-things, but could be wrong here too)...
And having the switch at the front is more... „finished“?
I too have limited belief in filtering. However, an unfiltered one costs - I dont know - 10 dollars, whilst the filtered thing from TE costed me around 20 dollars. So I thought what the heck.

I agree that it is more finished. And easier for other users of the equipment than myself. Any tips for a switch that might to the trick?
Old 21st October 2020, 11:34 AM   #1845
myleftear is online now myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Sorry not really. I‘m using a mediocre rocker-switch with the appropriate voltage/amperes. (Been searching very long for the fancy stuff, until I realized that form isn’t function—maybe a rotary switch like Lorlin RMS1035 with a modushop-knob?)
Old 21st October 2020, 11:54 AM   #1846
tbaashus is offline tbaashus  Norway
diyAudio Member

I've always had a soft spot for toggle switches and have used this APEM-switch for several projects: https://no.farnell.com/apem/631h-2/s...der/dp/1082324

A bit old fashioned perhaps, but I think it looks good and it has very solid feel to it. Makes a very satisfying sound too.

I think a front mounted switch is an advantage, especially if you are in the habit of turning things off for the night.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:29 PM   #1847
diyAudio Member

Looks neat. Maybe I’ll order one of those for my BA-3 as well. That means I’ll have two switches for the power amp, one on the IEC inlet and on at the front. Guess that’s not a bad thing, seeing as there are kids in the house.

Tbaashus: What do you think of the frontpanel attenuator and source selector? Will it work OK? The one you use looks good, but the PSU board is out of stock. This one is cheap as well.

Last edited by andynor; 21st October 2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 21st October 2020, 02:35 PM   #1848
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Hey Andynor,

This might be a neat project to look into if you want to use front mounted switch for your BA3:

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:45 AM   #1849
tbaashus is offline tbaashus  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynor View Post
What do you think of the frontpanel attenuator and source selector? Will it work OK? The one you use looks good, but the PSU board is out of stock. This one is cheap as well.
I'm sure it will! I suppose it depends on what you need (number of inputs and if you can do without a remote). The only input selector I personally have any experience with is the Muffsy.
  Reply to this post

Wayne's BA 2018 linestageHide this!Advertise here!