Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Replaced the traumatised transistors and lightly cooked LEDs (Sauteed Semis?) and now all works as previously described.
Many thanks for the help!
tempImageOBVuyP.gif

Reactions: 4 users
So if you change Q8, Q20 and Q10, Q25 to the alternates do you also have to change the resistor R11, R12, R32 and R33. And C1 and C7 also.

Second question my tester will not measure 10pF or 5pF. How can I tell by visually looking at these capacitors?

And the only reason I’m actually doing the alternates is because I am short one 992 in my kit.

For those of you that have recently used an Academy Audio module in your Wayne’s Pre, are you having issues with the volume jumping to 100 while adjusting it with remote?

Lenny sent me a new one today and it’s doing the same thing… he’s been very responsive and VERY helpful but the volume jump is concerning.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I started drawing this BA2018 SUSY a while back. It is a starting point as from what I understand, there could be a potential DC offset issue that would have to be worked out accordign to ZenMod. I don't plan to finish or build it. If someone wants it, feel free to message me. The program is EasyEDA. I was using as a platform to become more familiar with EasyEDA There are two boards. One for left channel and one for right. Just the placement of the connections:

1681670033921.png

1681670081122.png

1681670131860.png

Message me and I will see if I can figure out how to get the files to you. You will want to look for Zen Mod's starting schematic for the BA2018 and check it against that. It should match it. I belive I used the TO-220 drivers

Joined 2019
Paid Member
This pre has garnered high praise! I'm after a pre that is clean sounding so I can appreciate the flavour of my power amps. Do you think Wayne's BA2018 linestage will fit my requirements?
I concur with myleftear's statement. IMHO the PS one chooses is critical for its optimum capabilities. I recommend Pete Millett's PS used for his LR phono preamp from ETF.13 but there are certainly a number of really good diy PSs one can choose.

Cheers

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the process of finishing up a homebuilt chassis for my Wayne's Line Stage, and getting ready to wire things up. I built a power supply using a board and design by Pete Millett (his "15/25VA General purpose 2-channel supply"; configured as a 25VA bipolar supply set at +-20 vdc). I stuffed the diyAudio store Line Stage board using parts I got last week from Mouser, since the store has been out of the parts kit for quite a while. I'm not making any changes to the line stage itself (that's way above my pay grade!), and intend to use two 50k ceramic pots I bought as surplus units decades ago. These are sealed RV4NAYSD503A pots made by Clarostat. Although they are old, they are very high quality and they work great, or at least another pair of them did two years ago when I used that pair in my B1-Korg preamp. As I did with the Korg-based preamp, for the Wayne's Line Stage I will wire the two single 5K pots as left and right volume controls.

My question is: [good grief it took him a long time to get to the point, didn't it?] How can I incorporate a stereo/mono switch? Somewhere in the overall Pass forum's sea of facts I ran across a Zen Mod suggestion to simply short the two pot wipers together to get a mono signal. 6L6 added his approval to this idea with a nodding emoji. This suggests to me that something as simple as using a SPST switch to short or un-short these wipers to each other would work as a stereo/mono switch. Is that correct? Would using two separate pots instead of a ganged dual pot introduce any load problems in the period of time it takes to get things balanced with a mono signal?

Finally, if I want to convert my Wayne's Line stage to a a headphone ready device in the future (with the heftier Qs and associated changes), would a On-Off-On switch make sense, where the center Off position breaks the link between the two wipers (for mono), and one of the two On positions keeps the link (for stereo), and the other On position inserts a resistor of some appropriate value between the wipers (for a blended mono; like with 6db of separation or so for headphone use, but with a somewhat constrained "soundstage"). My old Dyna PAT- 5, as modified per a TAA Walt Jung article, featured this third option, and I kinda liked it, where the recording warranted. How would I determine what resistance would result in this degree of separation in Wayne's circuit? Thanks in advance to anyone with an idea here. And especially to Zen Mod and 6L6, heading me in the right direction to begin with.

Larry