• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just noticed something when I tried to use cheap no-name spade terminals (probably bought from Aliexpress years ago). They would not take on the solder easily and got all gunked up with burnt up flux yet the solder would not stick. I removed it and used a genuine TE Connectivity AMP Faston brand spade terminal. These are precision made with thick solid copper core and silver plated. They heat up instantly with my soldering iron and the solder wet the part and the pads and flowed nicely. Huge difference. If you notie difficulty soldering the spade tabs, I can highly recommend genuine Faston brand. $0.17ea but well worth it.

62409-1 TE Connectivity | Mouser

CAD drawing showing material composition (copper with silver plating):
https://www.te.com/commerce/Documen...cLang=English&PartCntxt=62409-1&DocFormat=pdf

I hope you're right because the data sheet, if I'm reading correctly says tin for 62409-1.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    71.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Would there be any benefit using this for a Class AB amp other than that a soft start wouldn't be needed?

Or, could just the main portion be used and the capacitance multiplier section be bypassed, to really minimize power loss to the greatest possible extent?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The active bridge is a nice feature that really makes the power from the transformer as noise free as possible. For Class AB amp with high PSRR, the cap multiplier is not really needed.

You may be better off getting a traditional CRC PSU and use an LT4320 active bridge to feed it. Variants of this can be found on Prasi’s thread for LT4320 active bridges.

You could bypass the cap Mx on the SLB and do the same thing if you want. Kind of a waste of capability though.

The active bridge is a nice feature that really makes the power from the transformer as noise free as possible. For Class AB amp with high PSRR, the cap multiplier is not really needed.

You may be better off getting a traditional CRC PSU and use an LT4320 active bridge to feed it. Variants of this can be found on Prasi’s thread for LT4320 active bridges.

You could bypass the cap Mx on the SLB and do the same thing if you want. Kind of a waste of capability though.
Huh, you're right. I didn't see prasi's thread there.

What is it about the SLB that negates the need for a separate soft start?

You still need a soft start to prevent current in rush to charge the trafo when you power up. I don’t think I said anywhere that a soft start would not be needed. That’s why we came up with the soft as a feather pillow SFP soft start circuit. It uses SSR’s so nothing to wear out compared to mechanical relays.
Post #1 in this thread:

xrk971 said:
7. As icing on the cake, the SLB provides a smooth slow ramp up to prevent mains current overload and tripping fuses, plus, it eliminates turn on speaker pop.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, sorry about the mixed message - the cap mulitplier provides a softer ramp up voltage to the amp, and in some cases, this slower rise can prevent speaker thump at turn on. However, it doesn't do anything for the surge created by the large transformer in rush current. I will edit post 1 to make that more clear. To really stop turn on thump, the RTR SSR speaker protection with turn on delay is the best way to take care of that.

Yes, if your not utilizing a softstart module, the NTC (8D-20) in series with the trafo primary winding will soften the hit. The downside to that option is heat and sacrificing a couple of AC volts.

Aah, I didn't know that it reduced the voltage going into the traffo when it had warmed up.

But that's absolutely what I need - as I was getting 22v out from the SLBs when I tested them (without an 8D-20 in place). As my 4R ANs will be driving 3.2 ohm Maggie mid panels and 2 ohm Maggie ribbons - ie. below the nominal 4 ohm spec - I was not keen on upping the DC rails from 20v to 22v.

So it looks like the 8D-20s will do what I need! :)

Andy