The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in good company here!

I also use a NOS dac, fully DHT, interstage coupled, no feedback amplifiers and field coil open baffle loudspeakers.

This combination is the most detailed and lifelike sounding audio system I have ever heard.

Interstage transformers in a tube amp have an advantage over resistor-capacitor coupled stages because they allow the full amplification factor of the tube to be used instead of wasting power on plate resistors. So you need less and lower mu tubes (low mu is better sounding than high mu). It also delivers a stable impedance to the tube so it will stay in the most linear part of the curve (low distortion)

User manuals

Attached the user manual of each device.

Attachments

• TWTMC-DRIXO_User_Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 997
  • TWTMC-EXO_User_Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 284
  • TWTMC-PXO_User_Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
  • TWTMC-PXO-AIO_User_Manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • TWTMC-PPG_User_Manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 237
  • TWTMC-DBM_User_Manual.pdf
    912.9 KB · Views: 367
  • TWTMC-STS_User_Manual.pdf
    981.4 KB · Views: 297
  • TWTMC-FSDO_User_Manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 322
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Yes of course, thanks. I know your time is precious but as an enthusiast you should consider for your collection the fun ad1862 dac chip. There is no real utility to make a design cause the chips are rare but witrh the tda1541 S1/S2 & late Taiwans, this dac chips is usefull for benchmark purpose, imho... (pcm 1704 far to be at its quality level imo despite being 24 false bits)

I am in good company here!

I also use a NOS dac, fully DHT, interstage coupled, no feedback amplifiers and field coil open baffle loudspeakers.

This combination is the most detailed and lifelike sounding audio system I have ever heard.

Interstage transformers in a tube amp have an advantage over resistor-capacitor coupled stages because they allow the full amplification factor of the tube to be used instead of wasting power on plate resistors. So you need less and lower mu tubes (low mu is better sounding than high mu). It also delivers a stable impedance to the tube so it will stay in the most linear part of the curve (low distortion)

would you care to share which DHT are you playing with ?. I am in search of a nice design for a 2A3 with an interstage transformer. Any hints would be gladly welcomed

Yes of course, thanks. I know your time is precious but as an enthusiast you should consider for your collection the fun ad1862 dac chip. There is no real utility to make a design cause the chips are rare but witrh the tda1541 S1/S2 & late Taiwans, this dac chips is usefull for benchmark purpose, imho... (pcm 1704 far to be at its quality level imo despite being 24 false bits)

Maybe the AD1862 is the best design ever, I own a pair.

My co-developer is planning to build a DAC board with the AD1862 to be used with our top version of the FIFO (as an alternative to the discrete DAC).

would you care to share which DHT are you playing with ?. I am in search of a nice design for a 2A3 with an interstage transformer. Any hints would be gladly welcomed

Now no DHT ampli at home, I have built an 845 DHT for a friend but it's gone a couple of years ago.
It's a heavily tweaked chinese ampli (the Music Angel 845), practically I saved the power supply, the output transformers and the chassis.
The driver circuit was fully redesigned and the output tubes were replaced with a pair of PSVANE WE845.
It sounds very very good.

When I find the time I will build a pair of GM70 DHT monoblock ampli, I already own all the parts.
It uses a choke as the load for the driver but a 1:1 interstage transformer could be used in its place.
The only issue is the current that would flow in the primary, around 35 mA.

I will share the design as soon as it's ready.

Hi Ivan,

in the TDA1541A DAC I have built for a friend the DEM clock is free running, no synchronization.

I have never tried the sync DEM of the 1541 although I know someone uses this way.
I believe the right thread for this question is the one of ecdesigns about the TDA1541A.

Andrea

Hi Andrea

Thank you for the answer!

I just think that in your wish to build better DAC, it will be helpful to compare with better implementation of TDA1541A (IMO). I have just tried the async clock (~1MHz) from Abbas and can say that it is a certain step forward compared to capacitor across 16-17 pins. Microdynamics especially on HF becomes natural, soundstage and the action on scene becomes just more closer to real sound. Another reason I am writing here - you can make the separate clock and try it because... You want to make a better DAC, than TDA1541A, you make clocks. So who if not you will try the separate clock for DEM based on your stuff? :confused: :)

As far as I know it's not very simple to synchronize the DEM clock, but I don't know much about that approach.

I investigate as soon as the FIFO Lite will be ready, then maybe I could design a specific board to implement the TDA1541A with sync DEM clock to be fed by the FIFO Lite and the best performer oscillators.

Anyway I believe that a frequency fine setting will be needed.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
All was said in the long ECDESIGN tda1541a thread about it.

WHatever you do it's hard to lock the signal, even with a pF air capacitor cause there will be always drift due to temperature, humidity... I tried the Audial way to come back to passive one and its imprecision !

Status
Not open for further replies.