Zenductor

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
"Perhaps DC bias and AC feedback can be separated, as per the lower LazyCad schematic?"

I don't think there's enough time to get this change onto the B.A.F.2023 PCBs and to purchase the new parts, in time for the Build Camp just one month from now (??)

You would have to (a) obtain approval from the BAF committee for the change; (b) lay out a new PCB with the changes; (c) get the PCB fabricated with expedited shipping; (d) order all new components and have them shipped to the right people, well in advance of BAF; (e) create new schematic and parts list and build guide

while time is short.
Actually there is still time to offer suggestions to the pcb art, but it has to be today. Parts are not a problem and the "committee" consists of Mike and me. However, understand that the T shirt schematic is a simplification of the actual circuit and some of the issues mentioned have previously been addressed.

:snail:

Actually there is still time to offer suggestions to the pcb art, but it has to be today. Parts are not a problem and the "committee" consists of Mike and me. However, understand that the T shirt schematic is a simplification of the actual circuit and some of the issues mentioned have previously been addressed.

That T-shirt version, is it just me, or there a hint of JJ there? :devily:

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Hey! If we built the amp... do we get a T-shirt too?

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No whales, but we have dolphins! :)

dolphins.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ok, let's see:

Vgs turn on event looks ok, Vgs turn off event looks ok.

Turn off thump is minus a couple V / 20ms. Turn on thump fine.

If spk ref is changed to signal ground, then C3 filter cap should be across full B

Probably, we'll get a little pop when shorting the input, e.g. preamp mute or select

That's all I can think of without being home with the real things. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hey! If we built the amp... do we get a T-shirt too?

Short answer: No. Slightly longer answer: I made the command decision to eat the Eventbrite fees this year, so we are a bit underwater with the Material Fee, so no room in the budget to include a t-shirt.

However Brian (bhjazz) is putting the final touches on a t-shirt design and I will have them on sale shortly.

-Tom-

If you are busily designing based on the t-shirt circuit, know that the real circuit has two pots in it. One sets bias, one does.......something else.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
There is NO reason why you should be short.

None.

Just ask.

I'd be more than glad to put some money where my mouth is ( and it's a big mouth... ).

Thank you all very much for putting this up.

Hmm... being this is a NorCal design with two pots... does it have a bong too?

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
There is NO reason why you should be short.

Don't worry, I expect this year's BAF to finish solidly in the black.

The $150 Material Fee reflects the magnificent generosity of Nelson Pass and his incredible, never-ending parts bins in which stock levels are rounded to the nearest 1000.

-Tom-

Reactions: 1 user
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PSRR is better with the speaker ref to signal ground, providing there is not some other reason for wanting it where it is (proto was reasonably quiet either way though). C4 and R7 don't really do much. More to follow when I get back from my flying lesson. :)

The reason we put the speaker across the inductor is that it looked cool. :cool: Running the positive output to
circuit ground gives the same performance, but has one advantage which is that the output terminal doesn't
have live DC. I also dropped a capacitor, a pot, and a couple resistors.

No more suggestions, I am sending the art out for fab before it gets late.

Reactions: 2 users