"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Give the instructions linked below a shot, let us know what you come up with. The "search similar" and "show similar" buttons are very useful.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pas...-diy-headphone-amp-guide-301.html#post6368530

I apologize, I totally forgot that you sent me this. I will remember to use this feature from now on!

I just ran the 'show similar' and it gave me 18000 matches. It doesn't narrow down the resistance or power rating so just match the appropriate values (in this case 5.1ohms and 2W power rating) and you get 2 matches back. Personally I would go for the Panasonic but Vishay are nice too.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ERX-2SJ5R1/?qs=gQQ/pDEpiRJoziD7fhTQGA==

Thank you Twitchie that's very helpful!

I finally got to sanding the parts of the chassis. I verified, that each individual part has a connection to gnd, but it did not alter the noise floor I described before.
With my K601s I cannot hear any noise, but with my old Apple buds a hiss is present and with my Meze Audios in addition to a very noticable hiss I can still observe a faint humming.
In the attached pictures you can see the ground lift, that twitchie described.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 274
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you hear any difference or change in the hiss when you touch the pot it's because the body of the pot needs to be connected to chassis/earth. You could also test this with a probe wire to connect the fastening nut - which you have on the inside of the faceplate but others are using this to connect the pot body to chassis - this is the contact which you can use to ground the pot to earth.

If it's unrelated to the pot grounding then there might be something wrong elsewhere. Do you have any pictures of the entire amp?

I could not recognize any difference when touching the pot, so i would think the problem is unrelated to it.
Regarding to your idea with the headphone jack: this is something I was asking myself. Having contact to the chassis and therefore to its ground I would pollute my audio ground, wouldn't I? Unfortunately it makes no audible difference when letting the headphone "dangle" off the chassis' side with no connection to its ground. Please let me know, if you need any close up pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 253
I fired up my whammy board the first time today, and no smoke :) rails measure 16,95V and -16,98V with orange leds. Nice and close together, it looks like it paid off to source 2% tolerance 7915 and 7815 regulator parts (L7815ACV and L7915ACV by ST Micro).

I want to verify one thing though: Is it correct to measure bias current over R16, R22, etc? When I do that I get 94mA, while using 10R resistors (10,8 ohms measured in-circuit). That seems too high? I was expecting 60mA, give or take. Not that anything gets more than hand warm (I am using an 18V transformer)

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne.

Both channels measure within 1mA of each other. I'm using Vishay 4N35's.

I did measure again this morning and it's now showing between 87and 89mA. It also might be that my DMM is not showing the correct figures maybe, it's a quite old and crappy one (Vichy VC99 from Aliexpress, bought 10 year ago I think). I only very occasionally measure currents, so it might just be bad at that? A good excuse to get that Brymen I have been eying for a while now :)

I would say that at roughly 90mA the heatsinks would be quite warm? In my case they are not warmer than maybe 40 degrees C. Does that sound like a reasonable temp?

Last edited:
Indeed I just measured mA's. I now measured mV, and there are about 571 of them :) So how does that translate to mA? Although I am pretty handy with a soldering iron, that does not mean that I know what I'm doing :) Can you briefly explain? I vaguely remember it's to do with Ohms law, but I'd love a short lecture :)

Last edited: