Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I received the boards and parts, thanks Jim.

Had no issue putting those tiny things on board, but I did not enjoy it. My boards do not look as pretty as BDPs, but all works.

Question. How stable the output dc is supposed to be? Mine drifts few mV when I recheck after 10 min. I am not using stabilized power supply, just well filtered +/_ 15 volts. I can try stabilized. Just curious.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's a fairly touchy adjustment and does wiggle around a bit. I realize that's not a technical answer, but the last time I messed with the circuit I did notice that it wasn't able to dial it to zero. 0.012v was as low as it would go.

You could always put a 10uF cap in series on the output if you are worried about DC.

Wayne, what is the actual DC current draw per +/- DC rail per board off hand. Would like to know as I need to kill off a few volts AC from my transformer secondary windings feeding a dual regulated DC PSU to keep the incoming AC volts a bit lower than the max input DCV rating of the regulator IC's. I plan on supplying your PCB with well regulated +/- 20VDC - being mid range of specs I have seen in this thread from 15 to 26 VDC supply.

Thanks in advance.

Gary..

My kit arrived yesterday and my first thought when seeing those smd parts was darn I wish I had some extra's. Looks easy to lose one they being so tiny. I actually have seen smd parts before but it has been a few years ago. I am showing what I used to solder those tiny things in the picture. I would not have attempted the job without what is shown in the picture. What is not shown is a 10 power loupe I used to check my work when finished. Not really hard at all, just tedious.

Attachments

• P1030811.JPG
    P1030811.JPG
    556.5 KB · Views: 1,691
Kit arrived yesterday as well. Thanks Jim! I should have my transformer tomorrow and be able to start slinging solder soon. I ordered an affordable hot air SMD station from amazon since I anticipate more SMD work in the future for various projects. I will be giving that a try on the JFETs. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
For soldering a few SMD parts I just put a touch of solder on one pad and tack in place while moving it around with a small tool. Get yourself a pair of optivisors with # 7 lens. These are very handy for multiple things besides soldering. My eyes are not what they once were and these help although I have used since my early twenties.