Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Actually I think it is the chassis from the Noir Headphone amplifier kit in the store, with holes punched and silk screening done as well.

Did they start with a Galaxy chassis? It looks like the several that I have. The side panels appear the same, and front and rear panels attach the same.

I guess they are all sort of similar. But if the member who asks is interested, it looks like a 2U Galaxy chassis, if you like that one.

Russellc

TOSHIBA 2SK209GR matching and soldering

Good evening,

in my todays nightshift at home, I matched 8 Toshiba 2SK209GR (out of a batch of 20).
My pcbs for Waynes - BAF2015 - linestages arrived today - so -
solderslingin' time.
Let's try to solder those little critters on the board. I used my 'adhesive -tape-
technic': sticking the Jfets with adhesive tape to the pcb and make one solderjoint. Take the tape away and solder the other two legs. Worked pretty well.
But - don't solder too long or the tape will melt....:rolleyes:
One step done.
Sleep well!
Dirk

Attachments

• TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_soldered.jpg
    TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_soldered.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 837
  • TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_soldered2.jpg
    TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_soldered2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 846
  • TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_matching.jpg
    TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_matching.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 810
  • TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_8_matched_graph.jpg
    TOSHIBA_2SK209GR_8_matched_graph.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 811
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don:t know how exactly my measurements are? :rolleyes: But the TOSHIBAS seem
to be very consistent from the reel....

Greets
Dirk :D

Hello Dirk

Consistent they are, but regarding your plots use negative to zero Vgs. To compare lines match over a useful area, from near cut off to fully on. Like in the datasheets.
I run an example with Toshiba 2SK117GR (TO-92 NOS 3mA Idss at Vds 3V sample) for you to see the settings. Its electrically same spec type as 2SK209GR. Also lock own settings if for repeated sessions. Else they will be resetting after new identifications because of autoranging.

Attachments

• K117GR 3mA Idss.png
    K117GR 3mA Idss.png
    38 KB · Views: 787
Hi guys. I am new to the forum, but have some experience building a pair of ACAs. I have read the PowerPoint and all 115 pages of this thread and seen it alluded to, but haven’t seen it answered clearly (maybe I missed it). I saw the schematic changes to go balanced in -> SE output. Ideally, I would like to have 1 balanced and 2 SE inputs going to 1 balanced and 1 SE output. Is that possible?

Thanks everyone for the great info so far. I’m really looking forward to hearing how this sounds with my ACAs.

building Waynes linestage

Hello members,

today I continued working on Waynes linestage. I was testing and matching a lot of KSA992 and KCA1845. I think I was in the wrong range? Salas will
see it.... ;)

I have two +/-24V - PSUs I have built for a phono-stage. I will try to use them.
Each can deliver 70mA. Should be enough for one channel? So I will be higher on the rails. We will see.
I would like to use Toshiba TTA004B / TTC004B in the outputstage (Q8/Q10).
Any hints how to bias the TOSHIBAs (R11/R12 value?). Sinilar like the Fairchild KSC2690/KSA1220 at around 15 Ohm/ 1W resistors for R11/R12?

Any hint is welcome.
Greets
Dirk :confused:

Attachments

• Waynes_linestage-pcb-stuffing1.jpg
    Waynes_linestage-pcb-stuffing1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 990
  • Waynes_linestage-+possible PSU.jpg
    Waynes_linestage-+possible PSU.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 984
  • KSA992_KSC1842_matching2.jpg
    KSA992_KSC1842_matching2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 974
Hello members,

today I continued working on Waynes linestage. I was testing and matching a lot of KSA992 and KCA1845. I think I was in the wrong range? Salas will
see it.... ;)

I have two +/-24V - PSUs I have built for a phono-stage. I will try to use them.
Each can deliver 70mA. Should be enough for one channel? So I will be higher on the rails. We will see.
I would like to use Toshiba TTA004B / TTC004B in the outputstage (Q8/Q10).
Any hints how to bias the TOSHIBAs (R11/R12 value?). Sinilar like the Fairchild KSC2690/KSA1220 at around 15 Ohm/ 1W resistors for R11/R12?

Any hint is welcome.
Greets
Dirk :confused:

Hello, R11/R12 15Ohm is perfect. :)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hallo Dirk,

I built mine with the Toshibas as big outputs as well. I used 15R Dale RN60 for R11 and R12. I actually have them socketed to later try different values ... so far haven't changed them, however :p

Normally I use Yageo's, most often bought at Reichelt. A 1W metal film resistor should be fine. I settled on +/- 18V for the rails, though.

Have fun building and listening, Claas

Attachments

• First Board - big outputs, resistors socketed, test.jpg
    First Board - big outputs, resistors socketed, test.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have used +/- 24 with the small outputs and 27R R11 R12 - it works beautifully.

Bigger output devices should have more current, change to 15R as suggested and enjoy!

PSU voltage is very forgiving, 15-24 will work well. I have used 15, 18, 24V all successfully.