Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

I’ve completed the third and final (Ha! As if!) iteration of my preamp.

Nicely done, RankStranger! Good job on getting to the final stage, and good job getting the bugs worked out. Many of us go through the "it's running but not like it should be" stage, so don't worry about it. With each new build will come new skills. Enjoy the ride! (y)

Reactions: 1 user
Dear fellow builders, I need some advice to finish my build of Wayne's Linestage Preamp. It's only my third build (after ACA and ACP+) and I'm quite frankly blown away by this one. I really like the premium ACA and Wayne combination a lot! I have just not found a source for a input selector PCB in Europe yet and I also don't have a clue how to assemble and implement it into the build. Can anyone help me with this? Also I would love to have a headphone output on the Wayne and I saw that this is possible. How can I achieve this? Thanks a lot for your help!

Greetings from freezing cold Vienna

PS: a friend sold me his Mark Johnson VRDN and I have made a seperate LPS from it with XLR connectors so i can swap out my preamps :) as you can see down below
PXL_20231130_175335643.jpg
:)

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2017
Paid Member
This would be a possibility: https://www.don-audio.com/Elma-Uni-Selector-Switch_1 Great gear, should cover your needs.

Basically it's RCA-in — input-selector — attenuator — line stage — HP-out — RCA-out
(either a shorting Jack (plug in the headphone and the output is off) or both outputs parallel?)
I recommend to wait for the good guys to chime in, or search for inspiration, for this.

Reactions: 1 users
peterpaan89, I'll agree with myleftear: the Elma would be a really nice selector switch. You'll wire your inputs directly to the switch as there is no PCB to deal with. Just keep the bundle of input wires twisted together on their way to the front panel and you'll be fine.

You mentioned headphone output from the Wayne. I can't quite tell from your photo but did you install the larger output transistors? You'll need those for headphone output.

PS: Weather just north of Seattle, Wa, USA today has a high temp of...just 22F. Supposedly will be 18F overnight. It's that time of year!

Reactions: 1 user
That Neutrik is very nice. You'll need to decide if you want the outputs to turn off when you plug in the headphones. If so then the Neutrik jack you mentioned is not going to work. That one in particular is a locking jack but apparently not a "switching" or "shorting" jack. (had to look that one up!) But if you still want the quality of that jack (and why not!) then just wire it in parallel and turn off your amplifiers while you have your headphones on. (This is what myleftear likely meant when he said, "(either a shorting Jack (plug in the headphone and the output is off) or both outputs parallel.)"

There are other Neutrik parts that actually will give you a switched jack (like the NCJ series or the NMJ series.) Must of the Neutrik jacks have some type of silver plating on the contacts but the contact material itself changes depending on the model. It's more important to get the part that suits your build.

Hello Peter,

you will have to change to bigger output - BJTs:
Q8: change to TOSHIBA TTC004B (or KSC2690; difficult to get)
Q18: change to TOSHIBA TTA004B (or KSA1220; difficult to get)
I prefer TOSHIBA TTA004B / TTC004B. Watch out for correct orientation on the pcb!
You will have to change:
R11 and R12: change to 15 Ohm (0.4 W or higher)
C1: 5pF
R23 and C4: out /disconnect from circuit

Cheers
Dirk

Reactions: 2 users