USSA-3B new Version based on USSA-3

Vunce
You are a wise man who understands the monkey’s mind...;)
However I will wait a bit more so the break- in can be more advanced.
As a teaser I almost had a full day listening during that Easter Monday confined to my home...:rolleyes:

Fab

I suspect that your floor is becoming dangerous ...what with all of those banana skins! ;)

Thanks from me too for this new offering. :) Now I know the future for my second set of boards.:cool:

Bi-amping, well, I don't like to mix amps and my (very potential) prob re power and DF would remain the same even with 2 USSAs, as the bass takes 85% of the energy or so and is the man prob.

No single amp to solve the equation... hmm, well, mine is doing OK and TBH I have great hopes in FSSA solving perfectly the equation!

And it can only get better as Fab is polishing for all his amps schematics and part's choice so all this experience and all these successive tweaks can only improve the breed :)

Lucky us!

Claude

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I truly enjoy the USSA5, USSA5B on the way....

USSA3 will be next !

Thanks Fab.
Hi meanie
Thanks for the update and after all this time since you built it :):)
USSA5B has the bjt output signature so it is different but is also good. I will report later on the USSA3B.
You will have to decide for USSA3 or 3B..;)

I think it is an interesting experience to experiment the sound of components in the same topology ...

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suspect that your floor is becoming dangerous ...what with all of those banana skins! ;)

Thanks from me too for this new offering. :) Now I know the future for my second set of boards.:cool:

You are welcome Brianco and yes I need to pay attention to not slip on the floor....but I have also a carpet under my listening chair...
There will be a brighter future after the virus we hope..:rolleyes:

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
After one week of listening I can provide some feedbacks.
At first - at least before break-in - the tonality was more alike the USSA5B and clearly it shows again the differences between lateral mosfet and bjt as output with all the rest about the same. This is the advantage of testing variations of the same design.;)
My personal observation is that lateral mosfet are generally more”lively” than bjt (I use one amongst the best) as output for the same topology and same bias current.

But, the USSA3B is clearly addictive :wave2:
The jfet input (LSK170 and LSJ74 in current production but a bit expensive that is true) makes a difference (the only) with the USSA5B.
The imaging and separation are probably at least comparable or even better than the original USSA5 ;) and maybe similar to original USSA3 but I do not have the latter anymore...
For example, at the beginning of the piece Drifting by Andy McKee I can hear some very extended and decayed guitar string plucks and very isolated from the rest as if it was a guitar in my living room with the other instruments in an adjacent room....I asked my wife if it was the effect of the virus to be sure....:D but she also confirmed. We are both affected or infected ...

Music is smooth but details are there too.
I am sorry that you can not have more objective comments from others this time because of the confinement....

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I decided to compare my few years old Goldmund Telos clone amp ( the one with cover open) to the new USSA3B but comparison was not too long....the USSA3B has a much bigger sound stage and is more lively too.

Fab

Attachments

• BD9C6B72-C0C9-4190-BF23-B272B79D2C7B.jpg
    BD9C6B72-C0C9-4190-BF23-B272B79D2C7B.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 364

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brianco
I still can not have the feedback from pinnocchio because of the confinement so still only my personal impressions. As I said in an earlier post it is more laidback compared to USSA5 or 5.1. To that effect, I changed my DAC output opamp From AD4898-2 to OPA1642 and the overall result is less laidback. I think next thing would be to switch back to USSA5.1...:rolleyes:

Fab