USSA-3B new Version based on USSA-3

Oh no wonder ..

I think will be very interesting amp. Bipolar sounds more tubish than lat mosfet and have better low control . This should be a pretty nice class a amp .

If the depth / seperationis as good as exicon

It should be a winner

Very cleber godzilla

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AnthonyA
If you cannot locate GR grade jfet then you can use lowish IDSS grade jfet (<= 8ma). Using 2 pairs of bipolar as outputs will not help that much since each one will have half the bias. I had not checked this avenue yet to increase the open loop gain….

If you want to use bjt for input then you must switch to USSA-5.x build as the bjt require current sources as opposed to jfet self biasing. In fact, the USSA-5 is the bjt input version of the USSA-3 and all USSA-3 and USSA-5 versions use the same pcb you have.

Let me know if you need the USSA-5.x manual.

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had not in mind that you were building USSA3B where jfet IDSS needs to be lower than USSA3 with mosfet output.
Still it should work fine with IDsS of 6.x ma but damping factor will be less…
See below expected DF on USSA3B based on input jfet IDSS:

IDSS= 3ma —> DF= 60
IDSS= 7ms —> DF= 30

Some ussa3.0 amplifiers were built with DF of about 25 to 30 with good reported sound.

You can interpolate DF value based on that.

Fab

Last edited:

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AnthonyA
For 8 ohms speakers a DF of 30 would be quite fine (but maybe not optimal for hard rock music depending on speakers :rolleyes:). We can push DF a bit higher by increasing the driver current too.
There would also be another way to increase DF which consists in replacing the darlington bjt drivers complementary pair with a high VGSoff mosfet complementary pair readily available.:)
This is what I am testing on the USSA-5.2 (new version). Bench tests are completed and listening test is on-going since last Saturday. I can adjust DF easily with the trim pots. Quite promising so far….

As for a new USSA-3.2B (mosfet drivers stated above) then I am not there yet but maybe on my to-do list…
it is just that USSA-5.x versions seem much more popular than USSA-3.x versions…:rolleyes:

Thanks for your appreciation of my projects, this alone justifies my hours taken to share and support these projects :):)

Fab

Last edited: