• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultra Low Noise JFETs from Texas Instruments

What is the Rds-on/ source resistance of TI JFE150?

It is not in the datasheet and I ploughed this thread with no success.

Thanks.
This is a JFET, not a MOSFET. The Idss is 20mA, which is the typical maximum current but they spec 50mA max which would be just before the gate becomes forward biased. The DS VI curve rises to about 20mA at about 1 Volt so that part of the curve is about 50 Ohms, but above 1 Volt, it flattens out towards a constant current, ie high impedance.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
JFET datasheets often include a specification for Rds_ON , here is one example.

Helpfully they tell you the measurement conditions, which can be duplicated in simulation for silicon-vs-SPICE validation.

_

Attachments

• efghij.png
    efghij.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 160
Note that Marks data sheet Rds(on) is only for voltages less than 0.1V, ie current less than Idss. This would be useful for switching audio, but not any kind of DC. I liked to use P-channel JFETs for Voltage controlled attenuators like compressor-limiters. In those days I used 2N5460. The advantage of a P-channel is that the gate voltage is positive. A friend of mine used unbuffered 4000 CMOS for this with great success, ie without any supply voltage, using the lower half of the gate(s) only.

I have even more ideas . A FET where the pos and neg temp coefficient cancel at lower
currents. I have a FET amplifier where there is no feedback around the FET input stage.
Thus, I must rely on TC canceling to get stable gain over temperature. I happened to hit
the sweet spot with 16 * CPH3910 at 45 mA total or so. No gain deviation worth speaking
of between between 20 and 60°C and beyond. With the JFE150, I get 7 dB variation from
20 to 60°C. The gain stability sweet spot seems to be at 6 JFE150s at the given 45 mA.

That impairs my voltage noise spec. All from Spice / ADS simulations. OK , I have
measured the 16*3910; their voltage noise is somewhat worse than the simulation, and
their spice model has no 1/f.

I also would be interested in a super-beta BJT that deserves its name. Say beta = 2k.
Early voltage does not matter, we know cascodes. 3V VCE_NOT_OPEN_BASE is OK.

I'm just digging into Bob Widlars voltage follower that seems to have surprisingly low
voltage noise, according to simulations using BJTs with Vbe == Vce, ie. 07V for both
with bootstrapping. You seldom see voltage gain = 1.000 on a follower.

2SD2704 seems to be one of the very few discrete SuperBeta transistors available.
And it is a lowly switch.

I know that Bob Widlar offends / scares JFET people. :)

Having an extra-low-noise Widlar voltage follower could remove the input current
burden from an array of OpAmps or BJTs as the voltage gain stage.
I know, this is against the notion that the input stage should have as much voltage
gain as possible. But, as Cesar said: divide et impera!

Cheers, Gerhard
Just found these, might be worth investigating:
KTD2092 https://www.keccorp.com/en/search/index.asp?search_item=&search_order=ktd2092
KTD1028 https://www.keccorp.com/en/search/index.asp?search_item=&search_order=ktd1028

Cheers,

Terry

Reactions: 1 user
Just a slight pointer, idk if it has been mentioned before:

JFE2140 Datasheet, Figure 9-10, Page 18 - Consider checking the numbering on those XLR pins. I am hoping nobody would blindly copy it like that since every audio electronics designer knows the XLR pinout, but maybe put that on the to-do-list for the next datasheet revision.

Aside from above mentioned issues:

The JFet pair is running open loop and 1mA / device with 2 x 50 ohm source resistors. At anything above a few mV IP swing there will be quite a bit of distortion compared to a similar closed loop circuit.

At 1mA it is quite a way off the zero tempco point = thermal distortion. I'd be running around 6mA / IP device, close to zero tempco point, should result in about 10 to 20 x lower distortion.

Obviously have to bump up supplies.

TCD

Reactions: 1 user