• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultra Low Noise JFETs from Texas Instruments

I did a recent search for replacement N-channel JFETs used as switches in some vintage audio gear. The BEST I could find was a J109-D26Z with an Rds-on of 12Ω. In this application, N-channel enhancement MOSFETS (which require a + gate voltage to be on) will NOT work. Now I want to find a P-channel JFET switch with a similar low Rds-on. Any suggestions?

I did a recent search for replacement N-channel JFETs used as switches in some vintage audio gear. The BEST I could find was a J109-D26Z with an Rds-on of 12Ω. In this application, N-channel enhancement MOSFETS (which require a + gate voltage to be on) will NOT work. Now I want to find a P-channel JFET switch with a similar low Rds-on. Any suggestions?
Most of the Pro Audio products I've been across used J175 (equiv to P1086 Interfet) and I believe even the potted Otari switching modules used them. Nowhere near your 12 ohms.
Which vintage gear?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Connecting "N" identical BJTs in parallel, the equivalent noise voltage is reduced by a factor of N^x (N raised to the power x). For bipolars, it turns out that x=(1/2). For example when N=4 identical BJTs are connected in parallel, equivalent input noise voltage is reduced by a factor of ( 4 ^ (1/2) ) = 2. Four parallel bipolars cuts equivalent input noise voltage by a factor of two.

What is the corresponding value of the exponent "x" when connecting N identical JFETs in parallel, rather than bipolars?

This does not really belong into this thread, it's just that I need it for an 2140
amplifier: Is there somewhere a Spice model of the THS3091 CFB opamp ???
It seems to be a happy combination of noise, 1/f corner and speed.
If it is on TI.com, then it's carefully hidden, at least in ASCII form. I'd prefer
Spice 3 format, best would be LTspice compatible, sorry, or Altium Designer,
or Keysight ADS, even if ADS would cost me bonus points with a customer. ;-)

Cheers, Gerhard

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The advice offered by @BrianL in post #256, seems to have worked for me.

_

Attachments

• spicemodel.png
    spicemodel.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 80
Thanks, I did find a zip archive somewhere on ti.com that
had lots of binaries and in a folder "timing simulation", there
was a netlist that included the model inline.
I snipped it off and put it into /d/libs/spice/gerhard_opa.lib,
but did not yet try it .
I think a spice model should belong into the data sheet. It is
much more important than the picture of card board box with a
reel of 5000. And it would help to keep the data sheet and
the model in sync. We all know to handle ctl-c/ctl-v in a .pdf.

cheers, Gerhard

Reactions: 1 user