• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable Tachometer and motor speed controller

HF noise improvement

Just a quick note for anyone who received a motor controller board before September 2020. You can get a significant HF noise improvement at the output by installing a 1nf capacitor between pins 5 & 6 and 8 & 9 on U4. I have posted a picture using 0805 SMD 25v caps but you can also use 1nf disk ceramics soldered to the DIL chip legs on the top side instead. (This picture has an SMD U4 mounted and the DIL position vacant but the DIL and SMD pads are electrically connected). Your board may have slightly different component positions to those illustrated in the picture.

Adding the capacitor creates a Low Pass filter.

Attachments

• 20201206_131831.jpg
    20201206_131831.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 507
Regards.

With Stephen's help, I have installed a Zeus with a D class 2 channel amplifier to control the Hurst PB-3230-001, a high torque 600 rpm, 2 phase, 115v 60Hz, 10 watts motor of my Well Tempered turntable. Its essentially the same motor used in VPI turntables SAMA.

I have been able to run the motor much better than before using the Zeus, but, as discussed in other forum threads by Pyramid, the Hurst motors do not lend themselves to fine and smooth running. Meaning, their speed oscillates even with electronic control. Also, running it at 81Hz for 45rpm playback is problematic.

I am contemplating to change the motor for another model.

I know many turntables use the airpax/ phillips/ Allied Motion motor, but, I believe its torque is too low for my table.

Any idea or suggestion of other motors to try? Which motors are others using on their tables with the Zeus?

Thanks.

Fitting the motor controller board to my Heybrook TT2....and am falling at the 1st hurdle!!
icon_sad.gif

Need to establish if the motor is a 110v AC 2-phase synchronous type....or NOT!!?

So far....can't find anything definitive on t'interweb....
icon_sad.gif

Here's a pic showing info on label of the motor:

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 167
HF noise improvement - Update

It seems I can't count. :eek: The upgrade is pins 5 & 6 and 9 & 10 (not 8 & 9 as I previously posted)

Just a quick note for anyone who received a motor controller board before September 2020. You can get a significant HF noise improvement at the output by installing a 1nf capacitor between pins 5 & 6 and 9 & 10 on U4. I have posted a picture using 0805 SMD 25v caps but you can also use 1nf disk ceramics soldered to the DIL chip legs on the top side instead. (This picture has an SMD U4 mounted and the DIL position vacant but the DIL and SMD pads are electrically connected). Your board may have slightly different component positions to those illustrated in the picture. (Post #263)

USB device fails to setup.....

At risk of being a real PITA here.....but has anyone experienced problems when installing the controller as a USB device??
My win10 system tells me that a device ( USB2.0-Ser! ) is setup and ready to go....but warning triangle continues to show in device manager.
UPDATE.......discovered that I had to add a COM port.....this is now COM3 for me!!

.....now to make sense of what to do next!! :)

Last edited:
Wanted to bump my earlier question about a motor that will provide a similar level of quality as the original in a TD125. I thought there would be more motors available but I haven't been able to find much. If anyone has general recommendations I would appreciate it. And sorry if this is a really basic question.

Hi unfortunately, there are no more kits or assembled v2.2 left from the Group Buy.

Stack Audio in the UK will be retailing a new version of the board that is CE approved, is isolated, has auto calibration of sensor plus bearing and stylus wear counters, anodized aluminium sensor and OLED enclosures. They will be offering both internal boards and an external version in a really cool black aluminium enclosure. I understand they will launch on their website during Feb 2021

Bummer...

Thanks for your super-fast response. Bummer for the DIY-minded about it going retail through a high end retailer. From the looks of Stack Audio, this will most likely be $1,000+. Not exactly a bargain.

Oh well. This is what happens when I don't google the right search term for a year. Better luck next time.

This looks like a pretty cool project. Thanks for posting it!

Hi, although i don't know the exact pricing the internal units will be a lot less than you surmised.

There are a couple of reasons for letting Stack Audio handle now. Primarily, a Group Buy takes an enormous amount of time and effort to put together. Then there is the shipping and all the follow up questions and support. Even though it was a DIY project it took virtually all of my weekends in 2020 (kept me busy during Covid at least). However, I can't sustain that level of effort any further along with my day job. :eek:

Stack Audio can provide the necessary support and are geared up well to service the HiFi market. The only issue might be necessary safety approvals to sell to non EU/UK markets.

Hi, although i don't know the exact pricing the internal units will be a lot less than you surmised.

There are a couple of reasons for letting Stack Audio handle now. Primarily, a Group Buy takes an enormous amount of time and effort to put together. Then there is the shipping and all the follow up questions and support. Even though it was a DIY project it took virtually all of my weekends in 2020 (kept me busy during Covid at least). However, I can't sustain that level of effort any further along with my day job. :eek:

Stack Audio can provide the necessary support and are geared up well to service the HiFi market. The only issue might be necessary safety approvals to sell to non EU/UK markets.

Both jamesbythebay and myself are in non EU/UK markets, so we may not be able to purchase it from Stack Audio.

You could have just released the Gerber files and .bin file and we could have made our own boards and programmed the micro ourselves.

Something as simple as a Valhalla power supply replacement is now back to reconsidering replacing the motor with a DC motor and appropriate drive circuitry.