The food thread

TBH I have been buying the salade polonaise for a couple of years and just recently saw a photo taken in the same deli where it was labeled salade Rousse. Perhaps they could just call it Slavic Slaw or something. Anyway it is tasty, I get a little tub of it almost every week, eat half with the sandwich I buy from them and the other half with dinner that night or lunch the next day.

A few weeks ago I was there buying a sandwich and couldn't see any salade Polonaise, so asked if they had any. The woman serving me said " None I can sell you. I have some but it is 3 days old. I would eat it no problem, but I can't sell it to you. But if you want it... I can put one in the bag." So like a guest at a Cape Breton July wedding I took the suspect potato salad and played gastrointestinal Polish roulette, and lived to tell the tale.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yeah... you should have seen the food when my step-aunt passed away in San Jose.

There must have been like 200 people at the funeral and the banquet. I have no clue how many lechones were there. My cousin saw to it that I got some of the skin... Yum!

And afterwards, the immediate family got together, fired up the BBQ and the deep fryers, popped open the San Miguel and off we went into the wee hours of the night.

Oysters cooked over the coals, with some nice shrimp... gooood.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have been wondering, and I can't think of one right now.
Peking/Beijing - no, a city name
Kiev - no, a city name
Kung Pao Chicken (Bao Zheng) - nah, he was a good guy
Help me out Tony, I bet you know one.

Moscow Mule?
Neapolitan Pizza?
Paella Valenciana!
Pinchos Morunos...
Anything "à la parisienne"
London
Broil.
Risotto alla Milanese
Santa Maria
BBQ

And on and on and on...

Oddly, no one took credit for Haggis.... as in Edinborough Haggis.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Poutine... hmm..

We just had some snacks...

Poutinellos a la Fusionne d'OC.

Potato chips -the thick, ridged kind, with sea salt-, sriracha and pesto sauces. With a bit of mozzarella on top.

( red, green and white, get it? ).

The kind of stuff an Italian who spent some time in Quebec and then migrated to SoCal and had some nachos might come up with.

Not bad, actually.

I didn't take a picture.. we ate it all.

It was rather good.

Deboned chicken thighs in the sous vide ( 2.5 hours at 165F ) ... will use with fried rice later.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sorry... I thought it was food dishes named after cities.

Politics?

Humble Pie. 🍲

If only the political class were more humble.

Oh well... hardest part of the day today... what to make for dinner tonite?

Last night... so I made a Tony-san-no interpretation of Oyako Donburi.

I stir fried the rice with onions, garlic, celery, kielbasa, a touch of soy sauce and Hondashi. In a wok.

Then I chopped the chicken and browned it in the wok with canola and just a little bit of sesame oil. Threw in a cup of frozen green peas. On the side I mixed two eggs with mirin and sake and the dripping from the chicken's sous vide bag. A bit more Hondashi (*).. then blended that in the wok on top of the chicken and peas. Let that cook so the eggs were on the scrambled texture.

Put three cups of the fried rice on a big Japanese style bowl ( don ) and laid the chicken/egg mixture on top.

Oiiishi des!

BTW- I bought my wok in '80.... Made in China... it's actually a very well made wok... heavy too. It wasn't cheap either... I think I paid like $30 at the PX in McChord AFB.

(*) Because if a little bit of MSG is good, more is better, Eh? We use Ajinomoto Brand! ;)

Last edited:
Kraut worked quickly @ 76F ……..done bubbling in 6 days!

The new water locked fermenter worked awesome, no crud built up at all.
flavor is mild yet distinct……just about perfect!

Used juniper berries and caraway seed while fermenting for the first time and will definitely continue with that.

Cal your gonna slap your forehead but the wife didn’t want me taking up fridge space so only the one lonely quart on the right didn‘t get water bathed. :confused:

I know now why this style of crock isn’t more popular, it’s a pita to clean! :oops:

Going to use 16 lbs of cabbage next time as to get 6+ quarts yield …….crock was only half full @ 12 lbs ( 3/4 full is optimal)

Attachments

• 398598FF-0CD7-4B8C-9C89-C96013386FBD.jpeg
    398598FF-0CD7-4B8C-9C89-C96013386FBD.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: 1 user
More than welcome anytime you might find yourself in FL Cal, maybe now that your retired you could do a gypsy caravan with your camper going all the way around North America sampling Food and Audio of all the diyaudio members along the way. (Man that sounds fun!)
As soon as the cucumbers start coming in June I’ll be trying some ol’fashioned sour pickles in the new crock……already put my foot down that there WILL be room in the fridge for them!

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
What a salade nicoise; a Fiorentina scalop and Castelnaudary cassoulet this Chantilly cream on my Paris's mushrooms ! I'm loosing my Kobe beef with cantonese rice at reading all of that. I wish to be here for the BBQ oysters though... Here we sometimes smoke them with mussels with pine needles fire and eat them still hot after!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What is a London crowning spinach quiche?

Sometimes you gotta make a simple dinner... and even then it takes time to prepare.. those beans/bacon on butter and sesame oil.... and that is chicken salad. The caesar salad, cantaloupe and cranberry/walnut bread matched it...

Attachments

• 20230504_182521.jpg
    20230504_182521.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 30

Attachments

• DSCN5366.jpg
    DSCN5366.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: 1 user