The food thread

Like this one? You'll note it's dressed differently. The larger one not only has the fat but also the piece of meat on the side.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Tony. I've been told that before. Thing is, it's a great hobby and I'd hate to spoil it by making a living from it.
You can use tenderloins but I like the size and the cost of regular loin. You said you wanted lomo though so tenderloins it is. Good luck with them.
Yes, the 5lbs vertical stuffers do seem to make the most sense for home use.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Tonite: Korean BBQ pork cutlets, white rice, kim chi, pickled radishes, green salad.

Last Night: Loco Moco, country style coleslaw

Pizza wise... We have a rather large stone... turn the oven to 500F... pop the frozen pizza for 13 min, if thawed, 9 minutes.

Saint Helens Pizza ( with five cups of cheese that melts down like Mt. St. Helens in '80 ) takes an additional 2 minutes. Anymore and the cheese will run over the side and you now have Toutle River Pizza.

She made a big batch of dough.

1. Oyster, onion, olive
2. Pepperoni, olive and.. (I can't remember)
Camera makes them look very dark.

Two more from the Mrs. but no pics. She makes a weird pizza anyway. Almost so sauce or cheese. I don't think they qualify as pizza. Some kind of flatbread I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Excuse my ignorance, what is a frozen pizza?

I like the name and would like to adopt it. Since I live closer to Mt. Saint Helens than you, I hope that's okay.

Sure, but remember.. I was studying for the Monday final on Electromagnetism PHY352 when Saint Helens blew up. We ran to the basement to see the seismograph and it was nuts.... then we raced to the top of the tower and looked South and we could see a column of smoke that looked like a nuclear blast.... The next few hours Yakima was covered with dust... the next morning Tacoma was covered with a very thin layer too.

Then, in the middle of summer, I was invited by a young lady to drive to Spokane and enjoy a Grateful Dead concert. We were gonna spend the weekend together in her van.... but on Thursday Saint Helens blew up again and the concert got cancelled.

BTW- the first time we made St. Helens pizza was in '80. We used some of the local mushrooms that grow in the Puget Sound area. I clearly recalled we had one of them record changers, with the top arm pulled to the side, with Gregorian Chants that must have played on and on and on for hours.

So, yeah, you might be closer, but I was there... ;-D

Frozen pizza.... don't laugh.. it actually works very well... you just need to use a good baking stone, turn the oven to 500F and do NOt follow any directions.. As usually, the frozen pizza is just the base for the other toppings.

Now I gotta come up with Whistler Lasagna...

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
BTW, during dinner... Korean BBQ, kim chi soup with tofu, rice, pickles, salad, good beer.... my wife mentioned putting tofu on the pizza.

Tofu and arugula pizza?

A friend gave us some lumpia today.... plan is to fry it tomorrow. With pizza tartes a la Tofu, pineapple and cilantro -with a touch of crumbled feta.:devilish::

You can call that pizza if you like but nobody‘s gonna believe you.

I looked up Lumpia. It sounds exactly like something we like to make here. We call them Spring rolls.

You’ll have to help me out here. Is Kim Chi soup fermented cabbage in a Tom Yum type broth? If so, the Mrs. likes to do that with the addition of tomatoes. It’s a real winner.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's a "California Fusion Pizza".... :)

Kim Chi soup is made by boiling kim chi... You add some of that korean style soybean paste.. it's called doenjang. And you can add tofu as she did today. Think of it as Korean miso soup... with lots of veggies and a real kick.

Lumpia.... it's a filipino staple. The filling has different spices than a spring roll. I'm pretty sure you got a filipino restaurant up there... go try it... with pancit, adobo and some rice... and a San Miguel beer. I've eating lots of it over the years. Best with family and friends... then they broil the mackerel over the BBQ and cook the oysters in the half shell. Ay pare!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
On May 18 we should have a Saint Helens Pizza Day.

We all make Saint Helens Pizzas and take pictures.

No tofu, no arugula... just a nice layer of pepperoni and three pounds of cheeses on top.

Be careful not to make a Toutle River Pizza...

Some day we could make a chain of pizzas based on the Western Mountains:

Adams (salmon),
Rainier ( combo number One, loaded )
St Helens ( lot of cheese stacked in the middle, let it melt, pyroclastic cheese flows )
Hood (vegan, gluten free )
Crater Lake (A "Bundt" pizza with a hole in the middle,),
Shasta ( cheese and two ounces of weed, make two, you'll get the munchies )
Whitney ( really, REALLY truly loaded... the Kitchen Sink of Pizzas )
Baldy (arugula, tofu and feta )
San Antonio ( japaleños and mexican cheeses)...

take your pick

Last edited:
Got good news/bad news/good news today…….

My Ohio stoneware 3 gallon water seal crock (for sauerkraut etc) came in today (good) came with the the lid all broken into pieces (bad)
found out they can only send another whole set as a free replacement and didn’t want the old one back…….super glued it back together and now i’ll have a two’fer! (good)

Attachments

• 251D8BBA-EF5A-41C4-BAB4-AB418192CAA5.jpeg
    251D8BBA-EF5A-41C4-BAB4-AB418192CAA5.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 382A9800-9B3D-4BA7-B5A1-FC79CE81FB92.jpeg
    382A9800-9B3D-4BA7-B5A1-FC79CE81FB92.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 49
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Good attempt... but that looks like a Mt. Whitney pizza ( a combo ).. Actually, with the hold in the middle, it's starting to look like a Crater Lake.

The Saint Helens has to have massive amounts of cheese and not much else.

Nonetheless.... it looks like an awesome meal. Hopefully you didn't forget the pineapple! BTW, we love the taste of yellow onions on pizza too!