The food thread

There was a fellow I knew who took his girlfriend to the pizza parlor where they met to show her the diamond ring and propose. But first he brought the pizza from the counter to their table. She saw the anchovies on it. She figured by now he should have known she absolutely hated anchovies, so as he sat down, she got up and left.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mark, appreciate your input but it is a bit behind the times.
Walmart is all over the place here. One is a 5 minute walk, the other is a 5 minute drive. There are many here.
Metro Vancouver is a big and very diversified city.
We have more parts of the world here than so many cities larger than us have.
We have what others don't. We are very lucky.
You would love to spend a week here and discover of what I speak, trust me.
No matter your heritage, whatever your tastes, you can get it here.

No Walmart in my city.

Not at all, not welcome.

And we're a Big Enough City in the middle of a metropolis.

Come to think about it, I don't think there are any Walmarts West of the 405, for sure.. or Southwest of the 55 and 5.

Lots of Costcos though.

+++

I'll bet you don't have Vegetarian Muslim Manchu (sort of Chinese) restaurants in BC. Kid you not, there used to be one in Gardena... did awesome stuff with tofu. But we haven't gone there since '21.

How about good paella from a Valencian restaurant? I thought so...

Hawai'ian? Okinawan? Good Yudofu?

++++

If I had to choose only TWO places in the World to live and eat... it would be SoCal and West New Jersey ( Hoboken has fantastic food ).

Artichoke hearts, feta cheese, anchovies, salty Spanish olives, olive oil.

Sometimes, though, I'll go with Canadian Bacon, pineapple and mozarella.
You sounded like my best friend until you said pineapple. That is the worst thing Canada did to pizza and I would like to state publicly that anyone who considers pineapple on a pizza as acceptable is not welcome in my house. Tony, your daughter, the super chef, should smack you silly for this. If not, I am happy to take her place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My honey promised me pizza tomorrow and I promised her to behave better than you. I might not have the beloved tinned anchovies on hand, but sure as gawd, the pineapple will be part of dessert.
Btw Tony, whats for din tonight?

Ours will be simple pork ribs, garlic toast and aspergrass. Honey will surprise me as she always does with dessert.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sometimes I will cheat.... I will use $5 frozen pizza from the store. I like Tombstone brand for this. Normally, I'll grab the pepperoni pizza when it's on sale, buy three or four and keep them in the garage.

Then, I'll put the stone in the oven, preheat the stone and the oven to 550F and then use the frozen pizza as foundation. Add fresh tomatoes, ragu, pesto, sausages, veggies, shrimp, olives, pineapples, roasted pimento, etc.. and mounds of cheese.

Whatever you feel like. Just make sure to add shitloads of stuff. This is not a Pizza for Pussies... this is a Pizza Volcano.

If I feel like it, meaning always, I'll pile up four or five cups of shredded cheese in the middle... this becomes the Mount St. Helens version... the cheese melts like the ice and snow melted in '80.

Then, pop the whole thing onto the blazing hot stone, pizza crust still frozen and count to 10 or 11... minutes... no more. The frozen crust lasts long enough without burning up while the rest of the toppings ( lots of them ) cook themselves into a Krakatoa Frenzy and immolate themselves to Pele.

Take it out, slice it and eat it.

Yeah, the pineapple works...

Pele, is after all, a Hawai'ian God.

Aloha Pizza.

( Yes, I know what 'real' pizza is.. I spent some time in my youth in Napoli, Italia. They got Vesubius over there.... real pizza does require the thoughts of a Volcano.... Vesubius, St. Helens, Mauna Loa....).

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
The sausage making, I follow recipes very loosely, added butter because everything tastes better than butter.

Now, gotta wait 45 minutes... so, time for a nice manhattan.

Attachments

• 20240323_173554.jpg
    20240323_173554.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240323_173625.jpg
    20240323_173625.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240323_174237.jpg
    20240323_174237.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240323_174849.jpg
    20240323_174849.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240323_175003.jpg
    20240323_175003.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240323_180158.jpg
    20240323_180158.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 15
Joined 2010
Paid Member
LET ME TELL YOU.... THIS RECIPE IS A KILLER! Sort of a new way of looking at stews... a horizon of spices, I kid you not.

OK... so we sat down to eat and after that I didn't browse the Internet...

Here's the end product..

Attachments

• 20240323_185944.jpg
    20240323_185944.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240323_190234.jpg
    20240323_190234.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 13
I have been in shops like that. Santa Cruz is particularly full of them :)

As a lousy Shot even at close range I take my hat off to you.

Oh Santa Cruz. A fun game to play when people watching there is "homeless or hipster" lol! That dirty, barefoot, dread-locked guy playing guitar might just live off of Cliff Dr. Seen it several times.

I shoot F/Class competition, currently ranked High Master (98% or better) at midrange (600y) and Master (95% or better) at long range (1000y). Our X ring on the target is half minute diameter (3" at 600y, 5" at 1000y).

Some might like to try my refried bean recipe. I use lime juice and cilantro in it. Chili powder and ground cumin, salt, onion and garlic, too. Used pinto beans this time, but black beans are great too.

My honey promised me pizza tomorrow
And she made it but all the things I got ready for her are still in the fridge. She makes a weird but strangely good flatbread that I ate until full.

Tomorrow is my day. Her crust, my sauce and gawd's toppings. Pics come then. Even though you have seen almost every pizza one can make come out of my kitchen, I will likely bore you again with pics.

Cheers for this evening.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Oh Santa Cruz. A fun game to play when people watching there is "homeless or hipster" lol! That dirty, barefoot, dread-locked guy playing guitar might just live off of Cliff Dr. Seen it several times.
I assumed that walking down the middle of the road ranting at everyone was a sign of homeless, but thinking about it there were a couple where I thought 'he's a bit ripped for a hobo' :). My friend who lived there is moving a few miles to Los Gatos. I suspect the gun rules there encouraged him.
I shoot F/Class competition, currently ranked High Master (98% or better) at midrange (600y) and Master (95% or better) at long range (1000y). Our X ring on the target is half minute diameter (3" at 600y, 5" at 1000y).
Last time I shot was at a range in Texas. Now my excuse is I was using a left handed hunting rifle, but I hit the wrong target! Me and telescopic sights do not get on well.