The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Open tacos tonight.

Here's the "taco meat'.

Butter, potatoes, garlic, onions, anaheim pepper, 3 different chili powders (non spicy), cumin, leftover roasted brussel sprouts... in that order...

Then, Le Coup De Grace!! C'est La Fusion!

Add Japanese 3-S.... mirin (Sugar), light colored soy sauce and sake.

Let it simmer for 20 minutes.

On top of corn tortillas with grated Mexican cheese and chopped lettuce.

Ay Caramba!

Attachments

• 20230426_184920.jpg
    20230426_184920.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I had a good experience with an out of town Korean barbeque restaurant. They say you should seek out a place where the locals eat. The style is not well known here.

image5.jpeg

The atmosphere was in high spirits. I didn't get to see the hardware being used.

image4.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Interesting... we have Korean BBQ, at home, three or four times per week. We have a Korean supermarket just a couple of miles from home, so I buy stuff in there and keep it in the fridge for a few days ( it will last a week ).

Just last Thursday I BBQs two pounds of marinated beef ribs... with white rice, kimchi, fresh cucumbers and pickled radishes... and a good beer. Our BBQ is right outside our kitchen back door, about 8 feet from my seat at the kitchen island!

At our Korean BBQ places, here in SoCal, you cook your own meats at the table over a grill. You normally get your food from a buffet, carry it to your table and cook it in there.

Sometimes.. they burn down.

Allen, I had a chuckle when I saw 4 dishes sitting on the burner. Like Tony says, in these parts, a Korean BBQ restaurant doesn’t have prepared dishes as you have there. Those are found at regular Korean restaurants. An BBQ restaurant is a smoky affair even with the ventilators above you and as Tony mentioned, they have a lower survival rate than other places.

BTW, your meal looks really good. I am currently about to enjoy a family memorial type meal, ala Vietnamese. Pics later. Time to eat.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yum... that looks awesome.

My daughter made some home made South East Asian (Koreans are much alike...) pickled roots ( carrots and daikon ) the other day. Then she got some good liverwurst, sliced chicken breast and cilantro. Made some awesome vietnamese style sandwiches with some french bread.

Asians do have lots of memorials and then they eat! And they eat WELL.

The Filipinos put out the lumpia, pancit and the lechon.

It's all GREAT food, really.

Dinner tonite: my wife is making yakisoba and tempura.... I found some good sake in storage and we have some great Okinawan and Japanese beers. We're set too!

I love Sunday Dinners.

This afternoon I picked a little (1.6Kg) halal chicken. I had it in mind to smoke/roast it on my new grill, but the weather had other ideas. So I spatchcocked it, seasoned it, and roasted it in the oven. It was perfect, crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and flavourful. I guess tonyEE would say I didn't cook it because it only took 55 minutes.

Meanwhile I also picked up a small top sirloin roast. This is going to be slow-roasted with some wood smoke on the grill, but tonight I just seasone it and wrapped it up until I am ready to spark up the grill. It is not a thing of beauty, looks like it was prepared by a trainee meat cutter. Poorly tied with a loose loop of twine, and not well cut, but I wanted a small one. I discarded the twine and tied it properly, then seasoned with S&P, "steak spice", some "pul biber"' and some packaged BBQ rub, and wrapped it in plastic to marinate in the fridge for a day or two.

My new grill is a MasterBuilt portable charcoal grill. It burns charcoal but also has a fan to control air flow to the fuel, and a thermostatic control to govern the fan. You can crank it up to >550F or hold it at 250F, and of course you can add hardwood chunks or chips to the charcoal hopper. I am still learning my way around it but after a few cooks I am very pleased with the results. I am looking forward to doing a smoky reverse sear on that sirloin roast.

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_233740_159.jpg
    IMG_20230430_233740_159.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230430_234537_482.jpg
    IMG_20230430_234537_482.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230430_235348_128.jpg
    IMG_20230430_235348_128.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230430_235639_698.jpg
    IMG_20230430_235639_698.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: 2 users
Try heating tomato juice in it. Much easier and should get you to bare metal.
Thanks
Try heating tomato juice in it. Much easier and should get you to bare metal.
Thanks Ed, thar was useful. I actually simmered a solution of water, lemon juice, and a bit of white vinegar, and stirred with a wooden spoon. That got it down to bare metal, and I reseasoned it properly and it is perfect.

Meanwhile I also picked up a small top sirloin roast.
The rain finally stopped and the sun finally came out and I cooked that little sirloin roast after I got home from work this evening. I lit the grill with just a small amount of charcoal, because I think if you light a full hopper it is always going to overshoot the temperature. The fan may turn off but if there is a big bunch of charcoal lit it is still going to burn hot for a while and heat the whole oven. Anyway I got it stable under 250F and then added a chunk of hardwood and a little more charcoal, which made it creep towards 300 F but put the meat on anyway and it eventually stabilized around 225F. So yeah it can get up to temp quick and hold a temperature, but you still have to manage it, not just load the hooper and turn the knob. Still way easier than my barrel bbg. Anyway the beef got a fantastic flavor, lots of smoke, and I used my Meater to manage the cook. I pulled it off at about 130F, brushed it with sauce while I cranked the fan on the Masterbuilt, and popped it back in at about 350F ambient to set the sauce, then let it rest. Awesome.

PS: You can see there was a hidden layer of gristle in this roast. Next one will be from my neighborhood butcher instead of the grocery store.

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_194725_143.jpg
    IMG_20230501_194725_143.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 45
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Fools. IMHO.

Mixing politics with food names is wrong.

We still call it Peking Duck, huh? Not Beijing Duck. What next? No more Chicken Kiev?

Ay!

We had Indian tonite... white rice, steamed broccoli, cucumber/tomatos and Costo sourced chicken marsala and lentils. Kept the microwave busy.. ;-)