The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
The spinach quich is on the royal menu tomorrow for Charles the third. Chosen by himself if I understood... Sorta of non animal killing policy. But I may mistaken.

Well this evening I cook sea food with pasta...

Attachments

• 20230505_183802.jpg
    20230505_183802.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 28
Joined 2010
Paid Member
So the King Of England gets married on the Cinco De Mayo and orders a vegan cheese pie?

El Cinco De Mayo!

Cultural Appropriation!

Yikes.

No quiche for us, without bacon!

However, I do have lots of chicken and corn tortillas. Maybe we'll make some enchiladas. My wife can have her Negra Modelo, I'll have a Damm Estrella ( from Barcelona ).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Salad Ceasar from Las Vegas took the lead long time ago over the nicoise....

The best one I've ever had was at a restaurant in Newport Beach where the owner had lived in Marseilles for a while... they made a fantastic Caesar and a non pareil Nicoise. Sadly he closed it in the late 90s.

The second best was at the Jai Alai Palace in Tijuana.

We got left overs.... Caesar Salad... from last night. I think I'll add some garbanzos/white beans, nicoise olives, anchovies, spanish pickled tuna and roasted red peppers... Nice meets Caesar.

Cemenelum Acetarium.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I like trying to make something special from less that stellar ingredients.

It has not to be stellar, it has to be from a correct quality. Alas, most of the ingredients are corrupted, so what you call stelllar was before normal quality long time ago. You can make tasty food with bad ingredients... but not very good food with so-so vegetables, meat, fish, bread, wine, cheeses.

Tasty is easy to do, good and simple ask experience and good ingredients... or it becomes fastly too salty, greasy, saulcy, sugary... that's what you do with bad ingredients... it can be tasty, but it is good food from a tasty quality point of view ? No, it's often basic and easy to like (fast food sponges as illustration while same receips can be good if made with good ingredients and acurate coocking; often not longer to do, not always but ingredients good enough are expensive those days)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's being raining down here two days in a row.

When we get rain, we get it right off the ocean with nothing to hold it back... No Olympics, no Victoria Island... thousands of miles of Pacific unleashing on us.

Yesterday morning, around 6 and 6:30 AM we got two short lived dumps... rate of two inches per hour... in one hour we got more than half an inch of rain. Then this AM it's been pulling a "Puget Sound" sort of thing... drizzle.

Can't BBQ in the rain.

My wife wants soups when it's grey like this.

Meanwhile the pendejos in Sacramento insist that we are in multi-millenia drought and our water/electricity/NG bills reflect that fallacy.

I think I'll go hug my gas range and the expresso machine (it's on right now... with its ~2L boiler kept at 124F)....

BTW, it's also time to warm up the stereo. The preamp/Pearl/Lingo come up first... that's about 300 watts (tubes).... then it's the amp(s). The SissySIT is about 300watts, the Aleph 2 run about 800 watts ( monos ).... That's about 1KwH.... Our top rate is 50 cents per KwH... believe it!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It has not to be stellar, it has to be from a correct quality. Alas, most of the ingredients are corrupted, so what you call stelllar was before normal quality long time ago. You can make tasty food with bad ingredients... but not very good food with so-so vegetables, meat, fish, bread, wine, cheeses.

Tasty is easy to do, good and simple ask experience and good ingredients... or it becomes fastly too salty, greasy, saulcy, sugary... that's what you do with bad ingredients... it can be tasty, but it is good food from a tasty quality point of view ? No, it's often basic and easy to like (fast food sponges as illustration while same receips can be good if made with good ingredients and acurate coocking; often not longer to do, not always but ingredients good enough are expensive those days)

Just add ketchup and sriracha...

The buyer at my local Costco is on an expensive "organic" trip. They dropped the old 3 pack "standard" Heinz ketchup in lieu of a 2 pack of "organic ketchup", which costs more.

I complained ( are you surprised? )... ;-)

I told the manager that:

"If I'm coating my french fries with ketchup, do you think I care about organic? My health? I mean, I wash it with wine and beer.. and a nice Double Double (*) on the side."

Eventually they started to bring a 3 pack of Heinz... but it's "cane sugar" or something like that.

"organic"... what a load of marketing crap.... After all, it just means "carbon based".... it's not like we can survive eating silica, huh?

(*) Protein style, fresh and grilled onions, with mustard.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Organic food does nothing for the taste. It is just it is harder and harder to find good comodities that are tasty to cook... hence all the too much salt, sugar, greases and artificial flavors and sauces we see everywhere. Industrial food is costing you less than true vegetable to make your own ketchup... and anyway it has not good taste in mouth whatever you buy a tomatoe can or you buy untasty tomatoes and make it yourself. More and more a challenge. In spite of we eat tasty junk food (and that also worse for the health)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I like Heinz Ketchup.

There are a ton of yuppies in my part of the World. They are clueless... they toss words around while fundamentally misunderstanding it... they just regurgitate words because someone showed them the bullet points. It is out of the book 1984 ( which they haven't read )...

Once, over at Roger's Gardens, I was asked by the checkout clerk if I had found what I was looking for. I was looking for a specific brand of neem oil. I told him I hadn't - I was carrying the empty bottle with me. So, out of the blue, the clueless matron behind me, the one with all that glittery, expensive jewelry and designer clothing... just had to open her ignorant mouth...

Her: Condescendly towards Yours Truly... LOUDLY, "Oh, that's because in here WE only carry organic stuff here"

Me: Looked at the teller, winked and turned around... "Well, surely YOU must know that organic just means Carbon Based, huh? YOU recall your college chemistry, right, don't you? You can't survive on eating silica". Using my finger to point at her. BTW, I said that loud so everybody could hear us.

Her: Wow... she was like shocked... Likely NO ONE had ever exposed her ignorance and put her down like that.

I turned around and the clerk and I exchanged our private smile.

You see... Neem Oil is considered "organic"... but that condescending b!!t just had no clue.

Most likely she doesn't even cook... has her house maid do it for her.... I despise the type... lots of them in my area.

Left overs tonight.

Carbon based, naturally.

No ketchup.

Good tasting... well, I grow my tomatoes naturally, no pesticides, perhaps some neem oil in the beginning of the season if it gets too humid during our June Gloom season... and I let them ripen on the vine. I also grow good varieties.... when I serve them on the table, arranged on big plates... sliced, about four lbs with good olive oil and salt... it's true food. Nothing like that at the stores.

Last edited:
Pulled pork last night. I had picked up a 5.5lb boneless pork shoulder the other day. I seasoned it with a rub made with maple sugar and spices and kept it in the fridge overnight. Got the smoker stabilized at 250F, added a little more rub to the meat, inserted the Meater, and put it in the BBQ. Four hours later the internal temp was about 170F so I took it off, brushed on some Diana Sauce, and double-wrapped it in foil, and put it back in the BBQ set to about 325F for another hour, internal temp about 205F. Unwrapped it and it easily pulled apart with two forks. Mixed it up with the juices in the pan, and served with mac'n'cheese and corn bread. Everybody had at least seconds.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
not very good for the health but certainly yummy despite too much on the greasy sugar side for personal tastes...

i have no bbq, my grand parents whom were poor peasants would had never eated in a garden. But go figure I always liked asian nigth markets minute food made with woke and wood ovens... or grill !