The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
eating was not a superficial moment and garde party.
it is not about bbq it is about going outside to eat like nomads and show themselves at such to the neighboors... old time, education, christian culture and pooreness I think. So vulgar for them ! World changed.

Last edited:
Perceptions certainly do change. I can understand the thoughts your parents had about eating outdoors. Nowadays a man is king of his castle or neighbourhood if he cooks over an open flame In the great outdoors.
Lobster sandwiches used to be what the poor children took to school.
Chicken wings used to be a butcher giveaway.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Paella is a dish best cooked outside during the summer, and picnics outdoors are experiences in Spain. My family used to do get togethers at someone's summer's house and layout a big pine wood fire with chicken wire above it... made lamb chops with aioli and what not.. It was fantastic, as it typically it was too hot in the city during the summer. ( We didn't have no fancy AC in the 60s... ).

Then you got the filipinos cooking a lechon and the Japanese... Plus we got a large table in our atrium, sits eight, and we got we can grill japanese or korean style outdoors.

We watched a few of these shows on TV tonight.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1252005/

It was a bit emotional as that is truly soul food for me, brought memories of my grand mother, mother and family. When I grew up we weren't "rich" but we ate like "royalty".

I think I'm gonna spend some time the next two weeks making some good food from the Iberian Peninsula.

BTW, today I made some "American Food".... beef in the crockpot, mashed potatoes, veggies, gravy ( made from the drippings )...

Attachments

• 20230507_184354.jpg
    20230507_184354.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 34
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was eating sausages, leftover chicken, sandwiches and snacks.
Perfect food for camping.

That's a tiny trailer... barely big enough to carry my Costco stuff. :D

I suppose I ought to ask WHY are you camping in the rain... but then I recall you're in the North West and the three day weekend we once spent on the Western side of the Olympics.... three days stuck in a tent, at least it was a big tent...

Galumpki’s (?) tonight, had read something about using the brussel sprout leaves instead of cabbage and seeing as I just harvested the brussel sprouts why not! It was almost as if the leaves were designed for it, they say they will not be tough after cooking (we’ll see) typical ground beef/rice/onion/garlic stuffing with a Hungarian twist on the sauce, used some of my kraut, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and my secret ingredient grape jelly (canned last yr)
Around 5pm will put in 350F oven covered for 2 hrs…….might even wait until tomorrow and reheat. These are SO much better the next day……don’t know if i’ll be able to resist though! :p

Attachments

• AB783365-8180-46B6-A052-9C3B27886A89.jpeg
    AB783365-8180-46B6-A052-9C3B27886A89.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 6EA9FC32-3774-458E-8014-D8320D17259E.jpeg
    6EA9FC32-3774-458E-8014-D8320D17259E.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 user
I suppose I ought to ask WHY are you camping in the rain...
Because I'm not retired yet and have to pick the time and place well in advance.
I also don't believe in throwing money away so you just hope the weather is on your side and deal with the cards .
That's a tiny trailer... barely big enough to carry my Costco stuff.
Oh now I'm really beginning to feel the love.
It's our first trailer Tony. It's a starter. We now have officially one weekend under our belt.
The 42 footer doesn't arrive until next week along with the F-350 to pull it.
Are you in a bad mood today or something?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ay... hombre! I was joking, teasing... I would never pick on you. All in good jest.

( Besides, I consider my garage as a pico-Costco-warehouse.... I need a bigger garage... I'd need a bobtailed truck just to carry my packing Costco stuff: BBQ, Honda generator, TV, AC, extra fridge, extra 400 gallon water tank, 30 rolls of TP, SissySIT amp, you know, stuff.... ).

My brother in law just texted me last night... he said they're looking at the first full dry week of the year... I guess it's been raining a lot... they're just a bit South of you. Kitsap county.

At my son's college graduation they had a rain cell that parked itself over the field and dumped at a rate of 2 inches per hour... it actually dumped an inch of rain... they had to stop and wait for an hour. For my own graduation -same school- we had it inside the fieldhouse... and as you would expect, it was a beautiful, sunny, hot day. Planning outdoor events in the NW is a crapshoot. Thus my comment about gained rained in on for three solid days... while hiking across a... hmm... rain forest! In July.

The 42 footer sounds good, but my wife has other ideas about camping... I wanted to refurbish a 34 foot Airstream... but she'd rather drive and stay at a hotel. For the price of the Airstream and truck you can stay at a lot of very nice hotels... I guess she's right, and it's hard to drive to Hawai'i.

The F350 is nice but it has a solid front axle, huh? My cousin in law had one... got rid of it... traded it for a Prius... They live in Snohomish County, Go figure.

( I think you're joking about the 42 footer and truck... huh? ).

I need blue cheese to make a nice Cobb salad tonite. Feta just won't do it.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
OK.. you didn't ask me.... but we've used Banana "ketchup" since...oh... 1972.

It's excellent on chicken wings.... two ways:

(1) Make a thick sauce of the "ketchup" with a bit of white vinegar. Coat the chicken wings and then BBQ.
(2) Make a somewhat thin dipping sauce with the "ketchup" and white vinegar. Try this with lumpia... it's HEAVEN on Earth.

( Pretty much, it's awesome on BBQ'd chicken ).

It's also good on BBQ'd pork sausages and on top of fried rice ( filipino style, with shrimp ).

Great idea with the leaves. Looking forward to the results. Hope they are not bitter.
I tasted them before hand (both raw and blanched) and the flavor was very good and mild……not tough or stringy either so hoping for the best, if I didn’t have so much kale coming in they‘d probably be good as chopped greens.
They just went in the oven a few minutes ago.

Had never heard of banana ketchup, everybody and their brother has a banana tree (or three) down here and you can hardly give them away when they come in….gonna have to make a big batch! :cool:

On the agenda this evening, roasted chicken drumsticks and cauliflower with tangy orange sauce, Philippine style (save for the star anise).
Mamselle reacts to star anise so it was omitted.

Take drumsticks and roast until crispy. (We used 3 as there are only us pair!)

Sauce:
1/2 C rice vinegar
1/2 C soy sauce (I use tamari which is GF)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 head of garlic, sliced in half
peel of an orange
1 tsp pepper corns
6 bay leaves
1 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp powdered ginger

I roasted the drumsticks in a Creuset enameled pan until golden with a bit of canola oil. They could be roasted in the oven as well.

Add sauce to pan and cook until the drumsticks have come up to "done-ness", let rest 10 minutes. The sauce will gradually thicken.

Decant the sauce, etc. etc.

We served with roasted cauliflower and rice.

Very nice meal. Adopted from a recipe in the WSJ for portion size and absence of star anise.

So they were a success!
If I didn‘t know and someone told me they were grape leaves i”d believe them, cut with the fork and they would have made good chopped greens also, next time ill plant them first week of November instead of December like I did these and it‘ll be a early crop of greens also.

Attachments

• 912DE3F7-DB8A-466E-85EC-7BFC6B5C5B1B.jpeg
    912DE3F7-DB8A-466E-85EC-7BFC6B5C5B1B.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 3FA12E2F-0412-4C0F-BAF8-87D7DC6DB688.jpeg
    3FA12E2F-0412-4C0F-BAF8-87D7DC6DB688.jpeg
    507.4 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 1 users