The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Zen, can you explain this logic before I mistakenly move forward with moving my PS into an outboard enclosure myself?

I built two power supplies for my first build planning for a dual mono build but then after hearing how good my F5 sounded with one, I didn’t install the second. Now that I’ve been listening for many months I’m curious.

What changes when a dual mono PS is moved from inside the enclosure of the amp boards to an outboard enclosure set nearby (beside the longer wires)?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
take it as CRC

first C is with rectifier , in PSU case

then umbilical is R

then final C is in amp case

logic of things is that power reserve is near channel pcbs, or else there is no benefit if you have it remote, introducing another R in between last C cell and channel pcbs (unnecessary length of wire)

motor runs are , as I said , cherry on top, but they're minuscule power reserve; you need mF for that, not uF

again, simple logic

same as is - whichever voltage regulator you're using for low level stages, it is always best to have it either incorporated on same pcb with active stage, or nearest possible (in case of separate reg pcbs)

for best results, power traces always need to be shortest possible

Reactions: 1 user
// Just because it will be for a M2X //
Can not get OPA604 anywhere at the moment, looked for alternative without being so sure, thought TL071 might be worth a try as a stop gap and this, from the Ship of Theseus thread, is helping i guess https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ngeable-amplifier-modules.383745/post-7108786
If you're worried about your unproven Nimitz destroying your precious Norwood daughterboards, stuff and solder your Tucson boards and use dirt cheap opamps (I suggest TL071 which is plentiful and costs less than $1). Give Nimitz a chance to wreck your Tucson boards -- they are expendable. If it doesn't, leave Tucson in the amplifier for a week or two just in case trouble manifests itself gradually. Finally when you've got plenty of confidence in Nimitz, swap Tucson out and swap Norwood in. Done.
Though it might help others at some point, hence put it there
If not appropriate, please tell me.

sov

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I am sad to say it but my M2x with ISHIKAWA and AUSTIN, minus CB3, is pulled out for another project. Mosfets are Harris/Vishay-combo. A pair of new OPA1611aidr. Anyone interested for 50€ plus shipping? Send PM.

Attachments

• M2x.jpeg
    M2x.jpeg
    742.3 KB · Views: 127
Hello Vunce,

It'll be interesting to see how this works with that SMPS from the Micro Audio guys - It was increased to +/-27V @ 3A (and does that easily) and will drop this to about the +/- 23v via the Salas L-Adapter reg - this'll be rather interesting, especially with an extra couple of those motor run caps as described above....

I am building an M2X slowly as work will allow. My plan is to use an external power supply to avoid noise and also to be able to experiment with linear and SMPS supplies.

In the meanwhile, I've got a Power-One (now Bel Power Solutions) HCC24-2.4-AG on the shelf. Is there any reason that this regulated power supply and a capacitor bank would not work well for this project?

Datasheet