The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Black Forest Buffer

So I hope Mark wouldn't mind.

4 Transistors, 6 resistors, JFET input.
Very low noise, very low distortion; all discrete, pure class A.
All active (Toshiba audio) parts, no unobtanium.
Total component cost << 10USD.

Cheers,
Patrick

Attachments

• Black Forest THD.asc
    3.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Black Forest Freq.asc
    3.2 KB · Views: 100
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hi Mark. Thanks for the very kind words. I'm really getting into this hobby. I was really pleased with the way both the preamp and the M2X have turned out. The M2X is dead quiet. Not a trace of hum at full volume with inputs shorted. I did build a couple of shrouds for the edcor transformers from plasticard covered in coper foil and MuMetal just in case, but it has turned out to be unnecessary. The selector switch was added in case I ever take it back to the UK. Seemed a lot easier to make the effort of including the switch now than the hassle of rewiring later.

It's only been running for a few hours (currently with Austin boards) but is sounding fantastic. Thanks so much for all your work on this.

Gary

Hello,
I have 15 sets of 2 pieces of the Cedarburg to distribute.
Order my first attempt at allpcb.com and the new IPS8 boards came in handy:

Price:
3.5 euros shipping plus 2 euros for 2 boards
Within EU: 5.5 € / 6.65 dollars
Outside the EU: 6 € / 7.26 dollars

Greetings
Martin B.

Attachments

• Cedarburg.jpg
    Cedarburg.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 546
  • Cedarburg2.jpg
    Cedarburg2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 543
Great job!

The advise to run it for a week with the current daughter boards is a a great one.

The M2X is dead quiet. Not a trace of hum at full volume with inputs shorted. .........MuMetal just in case, but it has turned out to be unnecessary.
It's only been running for a few hours (currently with Austin boards) but is sounding fantastic.
Gary

I did not use Mu Metal shielding as well.
In my system, I have been rotating Norwood, IPS7, and Austin. Mark J did an excellent job with the buffer cards and sounds magical to me. Ishikawa is the "start point" for me and base my impressions of the others from what I remember listening to it (closest sound to tubes in my system).
Remember let it warm up and check offset after replacing the cards. Enjoy your amp, it just gets better from here on.

Last edited: