The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Checked all resistor values, and transistor orientation. I then started pulling transistors to verify. With the ZTX558, I got the following reading for one transistor

IMG_1785.jpeg

and the other

IMG_1786.jpeg

Strange, I am thinking I got a bad batch of the transistors as both boards (L & R) behaves the same in circuit. I have not pulled out the pair on the other board however.

Abe

This is how one of my ZTX558 measures straight from the "box". My are from RS-Components and I am quite sure that the "Made in Germany" printed on "box" is a "mis-labeling".....as everything is usually made in China.....or at least in "far east".

Attachments

• DSC_0765_00001.jpg
    DSC_0765_00001.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0766_00001.jpg
    DSC_0766_00001.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 255
Joined 2016
Paid Member
That interested me, and I had to look it up ... :)

Actually, it is possible that the ZTX558 are manufactured in Germany ...
Diodes Incorporated, which has bought Zetex, has a manufacturing plant in Neuhaus am Rennweg, Thuringia.
Company Profile

The company states that while the wafers are made in the UK and in Shanghai, they say that they have assembly and test facilities in China, Germany and Taiwan ... :)

Regards, Claas

Bringing "Silicon" from China to Silicon Valley?
It is like bringing sand to Sahara?

The German ZTX558 sounds very good in IPS6.
There is very good "attack" on transients in the music.

Maybe try this one on Tidal where it can be streamed in "hi-res":
Benjamin Grosvenor | Homages

Also very good recording. Decca usually makes fine recordings.
First no. is good to check how IPS6 handles a Grand Piano.....it does very good.

The RV1 main purpose is to adjust amount of 2nd harmonic.
Now the DC you measure is when board is up in temp. You can have more DC during warm-up of the input boards. Also during switch-off there can be a DC-spike.
Removing the cap will not cure the "hum-issue". It is there to protect Edcor from DC. Some may think they can hear a difference without cap.....but it is probably only an imagination.....

I meant edcore because I was not sure what is better - small DC or output capacitor. The measurement, of course, was on a hot amplifier.
In conclusion - the noise on Ishikawa is acceptable to my ears so the music is already playing :) When the ordered mumetal arrives, I will take further steps to listen to Mountain View. Thanks to everyone for help and for everyone I wish Merry Christmas :)

If preamp has some gain then first try could be to just bypass Edcor using a wire the right place? ......and check how it sounds?
It should give lower noise and distortion.
Looking at schematic it looks easy just to try it out.
It has been suggested before but no reports I know about......