The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ok. I've worked my way thru forum, made some progress pulling things together.

I've mapped out the wiring for power and I'm hoping I have it sorted correctly.

Appreciate a review and comments.

Attachments

• BA-3 in process.jpg
    BA-3 in process.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 299
  • BA-3 Wiring Guide 1.png
    BA-3 Wiring Guide 1.png
    669 KB · Views: 301
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am not familiar with the boards so I cannot comment on their connections.

However your fuse is wired incorrectly. You have it parallel to the AC. It should be in series.

Wire should be from hot pin of AC socket to end of fuse holder. Then another wire from side pin of fuse holder to AC power switch. No part of the fuse should be connected to the neutral pin of the AC socket.

to Chiptech #2202

Hello Chiptech;

i made some corrections:

-always conect Earth in to your chassis/case of the amp!
-in your drawing hot and neutral at the AC-inlet are connected over the fuse - don't do that please!

-your hot at the AC-inlet should go to the fuse and from the other contact at the fuseholder to the AC-switch
-you also need a contact from the ground of your symmetrical PSU to your star ground/ earthground

This is what I saw immediately. Perhaps others can chime in and throw a second or third pair of eyes on it.
Cheers
Dirk ;)

Attachments

• BA-3 Wiring Guide 2.jpg
    BA-3 Wiring Guide 2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 275
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I am not familiar with the boards so I cannot comment on their connections.

However your fuse is wired incorrectly. You have it parallel to the AC. It should be in series.

Wire should be from hot pin of AC socket to end of fuse holder. Then another wire from side pin of fuse holder to AC power switch. No part of the fuse should be connected to the neutral pin of the AC socket.

Ben,

Thanks for the clarification/correction. This is the first time I've used a separate fuse and though I searched for explanations, I was unable to unravel it myself. But I did try.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hello Chiptech;

i made some corrections:

-always conect Earth in to your chassis/case of the amp!
-in your drawing hot and neutral at the AC-inlet are connected over the fuse - don't do that please!

-your hot at the AC-inlet should go to the fuse and from the other contact at the fuseholder to the AC-switch
-you also need a contact from the ground of your symmetrical PSU to your star ground/ earthground

This is what I saw immediately. Perhaps others can chime in and throw a second or third pair of eyes on it.
Cheers
Dirk ;)

Dirk,

Thanks very much for the corrections. I have undated my chart. You indicate that I need two places where I ground to the chassis - I'm not clear on that?

thanks,

Attachments

• BA-3 Wiring Guide 1 Revised.png
    BA-3 Wiring Guide 1 Revised.png
    681 KB · Views: 228
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi,
I am planning to build a BA-3 preamp too, however I am struggling to find the required MOSFETs; the originals are obsolet, the replacement according to the BOM is also not available (anymore?). I could find some in the bay for gold-price but... Do you have other suggestions? (I know, maybe another preamp:D)
Thanks in advance.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
other suggestions? …

Unless the seller is confirmed to be serious by others, don‘t touch amabay-marketplaces, there’s more fake stuff there than real stuff…
I‘d have to look em up in my atelier—if I bought the correct ones, I have some spares ( purchased 10 or twenty of each with the intention to unnecessarily match them ). Will get back here mañana…

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hi,
I am planning to build a BA-3 preamp too, however I am struggling to find the required MOSFETs; the originals are obsolet, the replacement according to the BOM is also not available (anymore?). I could find some in the bay for gold-price but... Do you have other suggestions? (I know, maybe another preamp:D)
Thanks in advance.

You should be able to find some On-Semi parts. It make take a bit of time depending on your sources, but they're still made. Mouser is showing stock of the N channel and Feb delivery for P channel in my area. That was just one place I looked.

re: original Toshiba parts, if you post that you're seeking some in the Swap Meet, you might have some luck. Most people here are reputable and will get you authentic parts usually at not-so-crazy prices.

Good luck!

Hi,
Thanks in advance.

Hello Plott,
For the 2SK-2013 and 2SJ-313 try this member - not sure if they do matching.
FS: TOS 2SK2013/2SJ313

For the jfets try Spencer: FET Audio | Hi-End Audio & Electronics
or find "punkydawgs" on ebay who seems to sell the genuine article.