The Aleph Design Reloaded

oh thanks lhquam!

you mean I can do this in Spice….. ?

If you examine the residual waveform V(out)-K*V(In) (unfortunately not corrected for the minor phase shift of the output), you will see negative H2 phase

Sounds like K is about V(out)/V(in). To see the residual waveform, run your simulation and then right-click (if using Windows) on the graph title. You can then type the formula with your value of K in the window that opens, yes?

Last edited:
Here is a simple way to visualize the relationships between the distortion residual waveform and the LTSpice Fourier log file information. In the LTSpice example below, the Fourier magnitude and phase information is used the synthesize the waveform from the sums of H1 (the fundamental), H2 and H3. The waveforms are of the total sum and the residual magnified by a factor of 50. I also include the .asc file for you to play with.

Attachments

• distortion-sim1b.asc.jpg
    distortion-sim1b.asc.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 502
  • distortion-sim1b.asc
    1.4 KB · Views: 52
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Stereophile show in their review of the Aleph3
the real residual (left). I turned it 180 degrees for compatibility with my Spice picture.

Right you see the Spice residual of Aleph3… :))

Attachments

• residual Aleph3 real and Spice.jpg
    residual Aleph3 real and Spice.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 446
Joined 2009
Paid Member
so my hope to find out that the real secret of the Aleph3 was the early use of negative phase k2 by Nelson

was futile…..:))

Both Amps Aleph3 and Aleph30 seem to work with pos phase k2.

I could change the Aleph 3 to neg. phase k2 by enlarging the Aleph feedback resistor from 750R to a much higher value or you omit two of 0R47 sense resistors.