The Aleph Design Reloaded

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Look here....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/267857-aleph-design-reloaded-28.html#post4808222

The 1022 FIR filter for the range 1500.-3500 seems change time alignment.
David advices to extract only from point 512 - end of file.
This seemS to make the correct time alignment with the fundamental wave.

I would never have found this.

I plan to show the different results you get with Spice and the Aleph 3 circuit as well ....hope you have an eye on it and I am sure you can help to find the reasons why Spice used by an unexperienced user delivers contradictory results concerning the k 2 phase.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno

regarding Spice

when reading error log , normalized phase of harmonics , I'm seeing negative phase of K2

Attachments

• Error log.jpg
    Error log.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 400

Attachments

• distortion-sim1b.asc.jpg
    distortion-sim1b.asc.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 393
The Fourier data in the log file is not identical to the FFT plots, but there are quite similar and do not suffer from phase shifts due to the windowing functions. The windowing functions are totally symmetric and thus do not phase shift. In the plots of post #283, theta= 360*time/1ms K1(theta) = H1*sin(theta) relative phase of K1 to itself is zero K2(theta) = H2*sin(2*theta+90) relative phase of K2 to K1 is +90 degrees

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just realized that my post in #245 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/267857-aleph-design-reloaded-25.html#post4802935 did not show the harmonic phases. Note the plots show negative K2 phase whereas the numerical value of K2 phase in the log file is near +90 degrees. My comment in post #240 about the numerical value being near -90 degrees WAS INCORRECT. Here is what I intended to show:

Does this mean that you can have neg phase k2 but degree value in the log is positive as shown in our last picture.....?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I just realized that my post in #245 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/267857-aleph-design-reloaded-25.html#post4802935 did not show the harmonic phases. Note the plots show negative K2 phase whereas the numerical value of K2 phase in the log file is near +90 degrees. My comment in post #240 about the numerical value being near -90 degrees WAS INCORRECT. Here is what I intended to show:

@lhquam

Do you know why the two residual programs distortion sim and the distortion decoder deliver the wrong phase residual for Aleph3 in Spice simulation,

or do I make a fault?

I used the circuit with the small correction of Nelson here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/267857-aleph-design-reloaded.html#post4184920

THX

left distortion SIM and right the residual decoder results

Attachments

• Aleph3 Spice residual.png
    Aleph3 Spice residual.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 504
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Aleph3 Spicing…..

and here ….

left the phase of Aleph3 with a low set of points doing the graph shows negative k2 phase

right with a higher set of points showing positive k2 phase

:D:D

Attachments

• Phase lower points.png
    Phase lower points.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 475
  • Phase with higher points number.png
    Phase with higher points number.png
    287.3 KB · Views: 461
Joined 2009
Paid Member
So there seems to be be no explanation why the Aleph 3 spice simulation tools, that show the residual, are wrong showing pos phase k2. In real, the Aleph 3 shows neg phase k2.

Nelson told that the use of the Toshibas is a significant improvement in this circuit.
Some weeks ago I tried them instead of my Vishay 9610, but I still prefered the latter.

A more close look on his actual circuit showed that he seems to augment the output bias resistor from 47k to 56k and he lowered the 750R for the Aleph current source contribution
to 680R.
In my experience lowering this value gives a sound with more body. I did not like so much the Toshibas because they sound more bright or HiFi like at a quick look.
With the lower 680R I supposed they would sound more embodied.
So I tried yesterday one channel with the Toshiba and the new values and one with the Vishay 9610 and the old values 47k/750R.

Now the race was more close....
With Vishays I see still more body, a bit more distant, voices still heavenly, but a bit more veiled, and some percussion elements overly present
The Toshibas give more clarity and crispness, detail and more punchy bass.

O.K. Mr. Pass, I gave them a chance and put them in the second channel too.....

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
possible, I did not try this…. :)), why do you want to do this?

my Speakers are 96dB/1W.

I find it a very attractive solution up to 30W at 8 Ohm speakers, easy to build, very good sounding in its specs.

And we have the Aleph0 and 1 and so on with so much Watts…..so I see no reason to go over the class A limit.

But maybe you want to say something I do not yet understand…. :))

best regards to Vietnam

generg

Last edited: